QUESTIONS ON LATE TRANSPLANTING OF ROOTED CUTTINGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I have approximately 200 rooted vines that I didn't get planted this spring. I lost my Grandfather (he was really my inspiration in life and also why I am still farming today) this past spring and have been trying to get the Estate settled which is not going easy at all. The vines have really sprouted and the are looking great. I need to try to get them transplanted, is it too late to try and transplant them or should I wait for the fall ???? Should I trim back the vines before transplanting or just go with them like they are? I suspect I will loose a lot of the roots since they have been in the ground for a little over a year, is there anything I should do to help alieviate any problems?? Thanks for any advise.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It will be hard to transplant them this late if they have been in the ground a year already. I would wait until next spring when they will be dormant. Dig them up with a spade fork and try not to break too many roots. Trim the tops back at that time to one stem with a few buds on it. Dig a good big hole at planting -spreading the roots. Water them in and they should really take off. If you try to plant this late the tops will die back, but will try to grow again . That will tap the root reserves this late in the season and they won't thrive. You could wait until fall after they have hardened off and dropped leaves, but they won't overwinter as well as if you leave them alone.

Good luck
smiley1.gif

I agree with Appleman...
Leave them alone till very early spring, before there is any budding...they should do fine then...good luck.
And sorry about your Grandfather...remember the good lessons learned and live with them....
smiley1.gif

It seems I can't even grow sticks -- but I lost my last grandfather at the age of 20 -- yet 40 years later I still remember his smile, kind voice and gentle manner.

I find it interesting that your Grandfather is what keeps you farming... the "roots" you are thinking about are more than just in those vines. My condolences -- I'm sure he wasa great man.

Dave

Thanks, for all the wonderful comments and advice. I will leave them until spring. Take care all.

Latest posts

Back