pressings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbryner

Reaction score
What do the BIG winery's do with their pressings? For that matter what do all you do with yours?

TJBryner

I just dump mine at the property line, but I think some wineries use them for compost.

I use mine for compost also, BUT I was thinking about trying to make pellets for my bio fuel stove out of them, just for the heck of it.

TJBryner

Sometimes i make a second wine.

you add sugar and water with the pressings and it makes a lighter, but perfectly good wine.

some people prefer the second wine to the first.

third wines are more uncommon because by the third pass it gets too thin, but you could add some new ingredients to make it work

Some of mine I have made what I call is a blush wine from them. Add sugar and water and allow the yeast to eat the rest of the meat up inside the skins. It's not bad.

It would probably be better to take a large amount of skins and make a small amount of wine.

I brought back 150 pounds of Brianna skins and I'm making a wine out of them. Kinda like a skeeter pee. Looks good and will be a little on the tannic side since it fermented on the skins down to 1.040 I believe.

After that it's fertilizer for the garden. I turn the ground over so not to bring in the deer or rats.

As far as the yeast sediment that goes down my drain. I was told it helps the drain lines eat up some gunk but I can't confirm or deny that. Never had a clog except last year when I got some muscadine skins down there. Those grapes are tough buggers.

I have grapes popping up everywhere after I put the leavings out in the flowers a couple years ago.... I won't do THAT again!

Debbie

Latest posts

Back