Painted Wine Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father painted my wine press using Tremclad pain. I believe this was a mistake and am looking for input. I'm very reluctant to use it given it was painted; does the community have any thoughts on the risks? Also, if I grind it off do you think that is godo enough? my press is cast iron and likely would have absorbed paint into its pores. Any feedback welcomed.

It is a myth that cast iron has pores… larger than atomic-level that is. It was sometimes a little rough if it’s a bare casting but that’s it. The whole seasoning thing (frying pans) is just oil polymerizing on the surface.

I’m not sure if the paint is acceptable. Probably if it’s not chipping or wearing off into your must. Many commercial presses have paint on the non-wear surfaces. I would not want the wood staves painted. Do you have a picture?

If you want to remove it I would have it sand blasted.

Bryan answered while I was reading the SDS. (Beat me again!) It "might" be safe when completely dry but there's some nasty stuff in that paint. I'm sure the wine press looks beautiful but I would be very hesitant to use it.

https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/27001B522.pdf

Oops - and I see this is your first post. Welcome to WMT!

Latest posts

Back