Recommendations for a fruit press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced fruit press. I do small batches.
Liftshop sells a 3.32 Gal. fruit and wine press on Amazon for 116.00. Item LSYSGSBhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJJJFHQQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. Sorry can't figure out how to do a hyperlink.

Last edited:
I'm in the same position - in the market for a press for medium sized batches (100-200 lb grapes). Last year I rented from my LHBS but it was just a bit small (#20 basket I think) and this year I'm planning on making multiple batches from different varietals on different press schedules so I think it'll be worth it to buy my own. I've been very tempted by some of the Amazon presses but I've also read on this forum to avoid Chinese-manufactured presses. I'm considering even building my own with a wood frame, bottle jack, oak pressing plate and some sort of basket cage (5 gal bucket with holes drilled?) because buying a new Italian-made press just seems so expensive.

I do 100-300 lbs of grapes per year and have a small press like this one, mine came from Cabelas several years ago, but they don't appear to sell them any longer.
https://www.homedepot.com/pep/LEM-Fruit-and-Wine-Press-956/321711995

Mine takes about 4-6 fillings to do however many grapes I have. It works for me and for the price does what I need it to do. Hydraulic would be nice, but sometimes I bet I wouldn't have enough to fill one and then it's a hassle to deal with.

The # in the backet press size is the measurement of the internal diameter in cm. For a #40, that's ~16".

I have a #40 press and do a couple of 8 lug (288 lbs) batches in the fall. It handles those batches with room to spare -- I could probably do 10 lug batches without having to do it in stages. This may help others figure out what size press they need.

New my press runs upward to $1,000 USD. I purchased a used one in great shape via FB Marketplace, for less than 1/3 that price (plus I got other items). The drawback to FB Marketplace is ya gotta check a couple times each week as it's not a common item.

Latest posts

Back