prefermentation wine ph and TA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warover

Junior
Reaction score
hello
I am trying for the first time to produce my wine in a more scientific way so i measure TA and ph pre-fermentation or on start of fermentation and as i am growing in hot climate i get for whites ph around 3,55 and TA 6-6.4 and for reds i get 3.65 and about TA 5.5-6 and my question is should i add tartaric acid in order to bring values in the correct numbers during fermentation or should i wait the end of fermentation and then fix the ph and TA ?
Also i am trying to find a good article about how fermentation affects ph and TA and the opposite,but with no luck ...
best regards
Nikos

Its always better to adjust your chemistry pre-fermentation. During alcoholic fermentation and MLF, TA decreases which usually causes pH to increase. Pick up a copy of Techniques in Home Winemaking

Last edited by a moderator:
well as usual ask two winemaker a question and get three answers. the number you quoted are in range of good wine. I would ferment and then adjust based on taste after finally clearing and before bottling. Ph is good to determine so2 additions, but once wine is done taste is the best measurement tool.

from what i read if you have ph under 3.4 while fermenting you are getting better aromas and better color extraction in ca of soaking ,isn't that true ?

your numbers are fine there are a number of other conditions that also control aroma and color. go to www.morewinmaking.com. they have a number of manual that are free that discuss wine making. download for free and follow their instructions.

your numbers are fine there are a number of other conditions that also control aroma and color. go to www.morewinmaking.com. they have a number of manual that are free that discuss wine making. download for free and follow their instructions.
i know them i read their manuals which are very well written but in some fields i felt that they are too general

Every book I've read says adjust TA & PH pre-fermentation, it's much harder to do so after..

Not to hijack your thread, but since you are on a similar topic :)...

also (I'm doing the same thing now, first time with juice, not a kit).. I got the TA measurement.. how do I convert that to a percentage? I've read .60% - .65% TA, w/ .50% is a minimum..

I've got 4.8 TA (g/L) after my test. so is that" .48%? Also how can I calculate how much acid to add?

Yes, just move decimal place over one to the left. 1.2g/L = 0.12%

3.8 grams Tartaric Acid per US Gallon raises TA by + 1 g/L (or .1%)

Yes, just move decimal place over one to the left. 1.2g/L = 0.12%

3.8 grams Tartaric Acid per US Gallon raises TA by + 1 g/L (or .1%)

Thanks, I've got some other questions and will start another thread, as it could get interesting :)...

Latest posts

Back