Finer Wine Kit Petite Sirah ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
Just finished an extended maceration on my Petite Sirah and checked the ph. Starting it was 3.65 and after fermentation it is 3.81.

Should I do anything at this point or is that PH number fine?

I tried calibrating my ph meter three times and it tested each time with in +- .05. in about a month I’ll rack it once more before adding the oak and long term storage. ill check it again and see if I get the same numbers But wondering what the thoughts were

Last edited:
It's a kit that comes pre-adjusted to come out tasting great as is. No need to mess with anything. If you decide to mess with it you risk adding too much of say tartaric acid and now you have too low a pH and a tart tasting Petite Syrah.

It's a kit that comes pre-adjusted to come out tasting great as is. No need to mess with anything. If you decide to mess with it you risk adding too much of say tartaric acid and now you have too low a pH and a tart tasting Petite Syrah.
Thanks. I just keep reading red wine should end up between 3.4-3.7 so was wondering if I should do anything.

Thanks. I just keep reading red wine should end up between 3.4-3.7 so was wondering if I should do anything.
Had many a wonderful commercial wine that scored well over 90pts with pH's approaching 4.00. Your pH meter could be off. It would be one thing if this was wine made from fresh grapes but another since this is a wine kit.

Every wine is different, and each is an exotic, diverse chemical soup whose components interact in ways we cannot necessarily understand.

Never chase a number, and always adjust post-fermentation acid by taste. Your pH meter will not drink the wine, so its opinion during final adjustment doesn't matter.

I say that semi-tongue-in-cheek, but it is literally true.

Latest posts

Back