pH differences between batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday @VinesnBines, her husband, and I crushed grapes from their SW Virginia vineyard. I purchased ~120 lbs each Vidal and Chambourcin, which were each in 3 different containers for transport home.

Last night I separated out 4 gallons of Vidal juice and put the remaining juice and pulp in a separate container for "orange" wine, and divided the Chambourcin roughly in half, as I'm using 2 different yeast.

This morning I checked brix and pH. The Vidal containers had the same brix, as did the Chambourcin containers.

After calibrating my pH meter, I took readings:

Vidal Juice - 3.24
Vidal Grape - 3.31
Chambourcin 1 - 3.40
Chambourcin 2 - 3.24

The differences between the Vidal didn't surprise me, as the grapes macerated all night. The Chambourcin difference was a surprise, so I checked all readings again, and got identical results.

This illustrates that every bunch of grapes is potentially different, and it's wise to check vineyard reported numbers, as they report on the specific grapes they checked, and the aggregate can be different.

Sampling is tricky. If you take whole bunches you get way different readings than if you take individual berries from different bunches. A 24 hour soak will usually increase Brix and ph.

We had a cool Spring so I’m not too unhappy with Bryan’s numbers!

Thanks for posting!

BTW, separating the Vidal juice was easily -- I used the brewing bags I recently purchased to bag the grapes. All I had to do was lift and left drain for 30 seconds. Between the 3 containers I netted 4 gallons of juice. :)

That's the good news. The bad news is cleaning the bags afterward ..... ;)

Very cool you were able to buy from another forum member.

While I know nothing about these grape varieties the numbers look good and I’d be happy with them.
Yup -- it's great being to meet other members. I've had the pleasure of meeting with folks in the DC area and a few members in my home area.

Hybrids grow well on the east coast and mid-west -- these are the same types I made wine from when I lived in NY. If you get to the east coast, hit some wineries and expand your horizons!

Beth (@VinesnBines) made a Vidal that's lightly sparkling -- it's given me the idea of sparkling a gallon or so.

Beth (@VinesnBines) made a Vidal that's lightly sparkling -- it's given me the idea of sparkling a gallon or so.
Bryan was kind enough not to mention that my lightly sparkling Vidal was the happy "rookie" mistake. I cold crashed the Vidal and backsweetened without sorbate. No bottle bombs but a definite fizz. I'll never get that replicated. When I try for fizz, nada. Like I said it was a happy mistake.

Yesterday @VinesnBines, her husband, and I crushed grapes from their SW Virginia vineyard. I purchased ~120 lbs each Vidal and Chambourcin, which were each in 3 different containers for transport home.

Last night I separated out 4 gallons of Vidal juice and put the remaining juice and pulp in a separate container for "orange" wine, and divided the Chambourcin roughly in half, as I'm using 2 different yeast.

This morning I checked brix and pH. The Vidal containers had the same brix, as did the Chambourcin containers.

After calibrating my pH meter, I took readings:

Vidal Juice - 3.24
Vidal Grape - 3.31
Chambourcin 1 - 3.40
Chambourcin 2 - 3.24

The differences between the Vidal didn't surprise me, as the grapes macerated all night. The Chambourcin difference was a surprise, so I checked all readings again, and got identical results.

This illustrates that every bunch of grapes is potentially different, and it's wise to check vineyard reported numbers, as they report on the specific grapes they checked, and the aggregate can be different.
This happens all the time, you can even have different ph levels if the grapes are picked from several different blocks in the same vineyard.

I'm not Beth, but she's in Glade Spring, off I-81. Not too far from NC or KY.
I was wondering what area that would be. Just went by that area last week. Do they have a commercial vineyard or private? There are a couple commercial vineyards down that way. That is about 2.5 hours from me. Sounds like you all had a fun time.

I was wondering what area that would be. Just went by that area last week. Do they have a commercial vineyard or private? There are a couple commercial vineyards down that way. That is about 2.5 hours from me. Sounds like you all had a fun time.
They're commercial.

It was a good time, if a bit tiring due to distance (4 hours each way). I have confidence in her grapes, as I've had a number of her wines, including last year's Vidal.

They're commercial.

It was a good time, if a bit tiring due to distance (4 hours each way). I have confidence in her grapes, as I've had a number of her wines, including last year's Vidal.
Bryan is too kind. Last year was a disaster and any wine was a miracle!

This year tge fruit looks better. The Chambourcin is beautiful if I say so myself.

Latest posts

Back