Post ferment pectic enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of strawberry that never got pectic enzyme during the ferment. It's dry at 0.990 and sitting in the corner of a nice cool basement clearing. Would you add pectic enzyme now? Or would you consider opting for another clarifying agent? What would you do?

Edited by: jojo

The following test appeared in an Ask Mr. Wizard column in the “Brew Your Own” magazine.Although pectic enzyme is not as effective in the presence of alcohol, I believe it may be the best treatment for a pectin haze. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

To check for the presence of pectin, simply add one part of the wort, beer or wine to one part 70% alcohol. Ethanol and iso-propanol both work. I use iso-propanol (rubbing alcohol) because it’s cheap. This test will cause pectin to gel. When this occurs, the sample becomes cloudy and the pectin begins to precipitate and will eventually settle on the bottom of the sample glass.

Do not return the sample to your wine.

Latest posts

Back