Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are winging it this week for sure. No organized tours or activities whether they may be indoors or out. When we were here (4 years ago) we did (much of) that hike but we got there too late in the day (it was December) and we were afraid to run out of daylight and hike back in the dark (and possibly fall off the cliff!). We did not make it down to the beach so that would be a definite bucket list item.

1630461963693.jpeg

1630461981606.jpeg

Very nice! Are you going to hike the Na Pali coast trail (i.e., Kalalau Trail)? I think the farthest we made it was HanakapiAi Beach. We loved the hike, but, honestly, the boat tour was more enjoyable!

When we were here (4 years ago) we did (much of) that hike but we got there too late in the day (it was December) and we were afraid to run out of daylight and hike back in the dark (and possibly fall off the cliff!). We did not make it down to the beach so that would be a definite bucket list item.

IMHO, on your previous attempt, you got 80% of the benefit. Beautiful trail and views, etc. It was great making it to the beach, but it did not change dramatically from the pix you posted.

A friend in the US Air Force, who was from Miami, transferred to Homestead AFB shortly before Hurricane Andrew came through. His parents owned a house built in the 50's, solid block construction, locking shutters over the windows, etc. He and his siblings congregated there and rode out the hurricane. They ate, drank, played cards and the house was solidly enough constructed that the hurricane didn't seem that bad.

In his neighborhood, his apartment building was literally the only building still standing, and Homestead was obliterated. This photo is of the base.

hurricane andrew.jpg

View attachment 78163
Homemade salsa in the works!
Interesting, I just stopped at the local store yesterday for corks, etc and they had just started a 1 gallon of salsa wine. They add a little more water, 1 1/2 lb sugar and yeast. Will need to stop by next week just to see how it's going. The owner said they were just joking around about it and then "what the heck" lets try it. They looked for a recipe but found none.

Interesting, I just stopped at the local store yesterday for corks, etc and they had just started a 1 gallon of salsa wine. They add a little more water, 1 1/2 lb sugar and yeast. Will need to stop by next week just to see how it's going. The owner said they were just joking around about it and then "what the heck" lets try it. They looked for a recipe but found none.
I just started a 1 gallon batch of tomato wine the other day. When I was making the salsa, I briefly thought about how that would turn out as a wine. Let us know if you find out!

Soooo Mike, THIS is your "I'm in a tropical paradise and you're NOT!" smile!

26E993DD-63E6-4F32-A084-BB420F8858B6.jpg

We quit the organized tour stuff long ago. When on vacation, I want to relax, not spend my time keeping up with a tour group. So, I vote GOOD CHOICE!

I just started a 1 gallon batch of tomato wine the other day. When I was making the salsa, I briefly thought about how that would turn out as a wine. Let us know if you find out!
Took a bottle of tomato wine to a party, put down a $20 bill and if anybody could tell me what kind of wine it was, they keep the $20. I put it back in my wallet at the end of the night. With the light golden color, nobody would guess tomato.

We were at the pool a few days ago and I was wearing my white hat (with a star on it) and of course some big beefy maybe 30YO guy starts up a convo with me about football. Now mind you I was in a lounge chair and he in the pool about 10ft away but come to find out he and his wife are here on their honeymoon and they don't believe in that "vaccine crap".......

I said "so how did you get in to Hawaii w/o a vaccine?" His response was "oh we had to pay $750 out of pocket for two rapid (next day) turnaround covid test and have the results sent into the State in less than 24hours before the flight."

I said "you know the vaccines are free right?" That pretty much ended our conversation.

We are keeping far, far away from people (especially millennials) needless to say. :slp

Soooo Mike, THIS is your "I'm in a tropical paradise and you're NOT!" smile!
We quit the organized tour stuff long ago. When on vacation, I want to relax, not spend my time keeping up with a tour group. So, I vote GOOD CHOICE!

We were at the pool a few days ago and I was wearing my white hat (with a star on it) and of course some big beefy maybe 30YO guy starts up a convo with me about football. Now mind you I was in a lounge chair and he in the pool about 10ft away but come to find out he and his wife are here on their honeymoon and they don't believe in that "vaccine crap".......

I said "so how did you get in to Hawaii w/o a vaccine?" His response was "oh we had to pay $750 out of pocket for two rapid (next day) turnaround covid test and have the results sent into the State in less than 24hours before the flight."

I said "you know the vaccines are free right?" That pretty much ended our conversation.

We are keeping far, far away from people (especially millennials) needless to say. :slp

It's simple economics, I'm not sure why you don't understand where he's coming from. o_O I wonder if they have to spend another $750 to get back.

Last edited:
He can get back into the mainland for "free". We saw him and his bride last night as we were finishing dinner out on the patio heading to the pool with a lit cigarette in hand........ o_O

Looks like a future "Darwin Award" winner to me.

It's simple economics, I'm not sure why you don't understand where he's coming from. o_O I wonder if they have to spend another $750 to get back.

I don’t like to ride around and take photos of others misfortune, every now and again you run into something that’s really amazing and demonstrates the incredible power of nature. Though most of this giant oak tree has been cut up, the main trunk and fully attached root ball remains intact In this photo. The root ball is nearly as high as the peak of the roof, thankfully, no damage to the home from this toppled monster.
79DB9CA5-E9D8-4BC9-834E-EF1D7051F3E6.jpeg9A498CDE-60F2-4247-8EF8-69D6A71C7D9B.jpeg

This is my buddy’s fishing camp down in Port Fourchon, ground zero for Hurricane Ida. Many great memories fishing down there in college, it was in his family for two generations. First photo is a Google Earth photo of the intact structure, elevated 12’ above the concrete slab on pilings, second photo is a drone pic of the property wiped clean, even the tree is gone. Sad day. D1014F62-2313-4006-9E55-3BE563B816F4.png343ABFD1-45CE-449A-9079-41C07283F2EA.png

Latest posts

Back