Possible MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
Hello all,
So the first wine I attempted to make began this past March. A simple concord grape with Ec1118, sugar to a SG of 1.065. It has a nice flavor, but the problem I'm having is a seemingly never ending amount of co2. I have tried degassing with a whip and quite a few runs through a AIO wine pump with the degasser attachment. At one point I thought I had it degassed and then stabilized and back-sweetened. Since back-sweetening the gravity readings have remained constant but I now have much more gas and I can see the top of the carboy bubbling again....could this be MLF? Has anyone ever had concord with MLF, is it a good thing?

If you used K-meta and Pot. Sorbate to stabilize, then there is a chance next to Zero that your wine is going through MLF.

that's what I used. Since the gravity readings haven't changed since back-sweetening perhaps it's just degassing?

what was the final reading? what did you stabilize with and how much did you use?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like its fermenting the sugar you used to back sweeten

Tess, I thought the same but the final reading after sweetening was 1.015 and has remained so for two months despite the bubbles I see.

James, nope, no volcano.

was it done fermenting before you back sweetened. What was that reading? Is it possible it was not finished just stuck and you unstuck it

I just cant see it being gas with all that degassing. The whip and the allinone? If its not still fermenting Im at a loss. I sure wouldnt do anything to it till its done doing its things. You started it back in March its practically degassed itself. If it was stuck and you unstuck it by doing all that whipping and added sugar you might have some rocket fuel on your hands

Latest posts

Back