Other Passport Series 2015

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm picking up the Cheeky Monkey LR Red Zepplin today. Looking forward to it! Unfortunately, school costs are preventing me from getting a higher end one this year. :(

So far it seems the LE kits for next year are a little underwhelming, though perhaps it's just me. None of the RJS RQ kits really sparked any interest. As for the Passport kits, only the Petit Verdot and 'Volcanic Red' stand out.

I do wish I had grabbed one of those California Grand Red's...

Yep . . . underwhelming. I'll get a couple of the Brunello with high expectations. Maybe the Volcanic Red. And I'm tasting a commercial Aglianico tonight to see if I'm interested in that from RJ Spagnols. All three of the ones I mentioned are in my FVW wish list. Well see which ones make it to the shopping cart.

BTW that Grand Red is in barrel right now and tastes fantastic. SC you ought to search the WWW and find you one. I think it'll be worth the effort.

The Pinot Noir and Brunello look the most interesting to me but I'm thinking I might pass this time. I think the PN is a 16L kit and you can get the 18L Eclipse version from Sonoma anytime. Granted, the Eclipse version does cost more but I'm guessing the juice quality is similar.

Thoughts on juice quality between this Passport PN and the Eclipse version?

-Josh

Hi Josh,

To me the key word about the Pinot Noir kit is : LIGHT body . The Eclipse is medium -full . Your choice .:b

Looks like there's not much interested in LE/RQ this time......:a1

I just placed an order for all three Passport reds, both RQ reds, and one Passport Pinot Gris. I'll probably pick up a couple of whatever WE decides to offer for LE this year. That should keep me busy this winter.

-Josh

The Eclipse kit had a good reputation when it was the old Estate line kit, and I'm sure it only improved when they transitioned over to the Eclipse kits. My guess would be that the Eclipse version is potentially better.

I'm sure these kits will be of good quality, but for someone like me, I see a lot of what is already available in some form or another. Take the Passport Pinot Noir...you can already get a similar kit that should be at least the same quality if not better WE already has a Brunello kit, which I've already made. WE also already has a Petit Verdot kit, as well. Thus the only interesting thing to me about the Passport Petit Verdot is that it is from the Yakima Valley. Pinot Gris from Oregon can be really good. I think the RJS line is even more underwhelming. Nothing really stands out except the Aglianico. It would also be nice to see more red kits come with grape skins. That may be wishful thinking.

Again, it will be interesting to see what WE has up its sleeve.

I agree with SC above. I like the Brunello because it has a grape pack and the RJS Cru Select does not.

Still waiting to see what WE brings to the party. I only make LR white wines these days since my reds are all from fresh grapes. The Oregon Pinot Gris is definitely on my list!

I also agree with SouthernChemist. Much of the LRs are already available in some way in 'standard' kits. The Volcanic Red would be interesting, but I can make that from grapes. The Anglianico from RJS and the Petit Verdot from Kenridge might be worth it. But I'm waiting to see what WE has up their sleeve. I did 5 LRs this year and the roster for 2015 is really kind of a let down. They were all things you can't get any other day of the year: South African Shiraz Cabernet, Monastrell/Petit Verdot, Tempranillo Granacha, Torrontes, and Grenache Rose.

Still waiting to see what WE brings to the party. I only make LR white wines these days since my reds are all from fresh grapes. The Oregon Pinot Gris is definitely on my list!

Here's hoping that WE has an interesting white blend in the works!

Actually the Passport series is of interesting to me, not so much the others. Perhaps that's because two of the five Passport varietals were already at the top of my to-do list: the Petit Verdot and the Pinot Gris

The Pinot Noir and Brunello look the most interesting to me but I'm thinking I might pass this time. I think the PN is a 16L kit and you can get the 18L Eclipse version from Sonoma anytime. Granted, the Eclipse version does cost more but I'm guessing the juice quality is similar.

-Josh

According to all the info I have found all the Passport kits are 18 L -- either 18 L of must, or in the case of the skin pack kits, 16 L of must and 2 L of skins. That all sounds promising, assuming the must is top notch.

The Eclipse kit had a good reputation when it was the old Estate line kit, and I'm sure it only improved when they transitioned over to the Eclipse kits. My guess would be that the Eclipse version is potentially better.

This is really something I am curious about. Do these LR/RQ type kits typically hit above their pay grade (in terms of quality vs. price) or is it still really "you get what you pay for" -- meaning WE Eclipse/Cellar Craft Showcase/RJS En Premiur are going to turn out better?

If you're thinking about the Anglianico and see this soon, there is a 2 pack for sale on WTSO. Should you be curious about trying one, this might be a good opportunity. Both seem to have received good ratings.

http://www.wtso.com/?utm_source=Sil...tm_campaign=Newsletter1410126303&utm_content=

You just need to move quickly, as wines on this site are only there until sold out. (so it isn't just a clever name ;) )

I just bought and tasted a commercial since we have never had one Anglianico. It was okay but There are many many varieties and blends we prefer. I think I'm going to pass.

Few days ago I received an email from my local store :
" They saved the best for last !!! The Limited Release Chilean Volcanic Red that you ordered has arrived . "
I picked it up on Saturday :h . I have 2 kits to start before this one .
Anyone else planing to do this kit ?
:b

IMG_20150308_175203.jpg

We're still waiting on this and the RJ's Aglianico to round out our LE purchases for the year. Although it's not exactly critical that they arrive any time soon, since we already have 10 kits on deck waiting for their turn in primary....

Last edited:
We're still waiting on this and the RJ's Aglianico to round out our LE purchases for the year. Although it's not exactly critical that they arrive any time soon, since we already have 10 kits on deck waiting for their turn in primary....

I'm waiting on that one too. Sometime in April...

I'm waiting on mine. No hurry as I still have the Passport Brunello ahead of it to start in a few weeks.

FYI, the Showcase Riesling - waaay disappointing, and it isn't getting better with age. So sad.

However, the Limited edition Cheeky Monkey Red Zepplin was bloody fantastic! My 15 bottles didn't last through February this year. I'm going to call around and see if anyone has any stock left!

FYI, the Showcase Riesling - waaay disappointing, and it isn't getting better with age. So sad.

However, the Limited edition Cheeky Monkey Red Zepplin was bloody fantastic! My 15 bottles didn't last through February this year. I'm going to call around and see if anyone has any stock left!

Showcase Riesling? Was that a LE kit at some point?

Latest posts

Back