Turbidity and filter selection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a "science"to selecting filter size and quantity based on turbidity readings? We cannot seem to be able to find a real correlation. Sometimes Meads with higher turbidity go through great, and those with low turbidity kill the filters fast.

I came across a guide on Scott labs, but yet even after running successfully through k300s, our turbidity read 36 and clogged the k200s

Last edited:
There isn’t any correlation between turbidity and how fast the filter blinds. Blinding is a function of the particle size in suspension and the pore size of the filter being under the particle size.

Yes in chem lab we would measure the intensity of a wavelength and make an assumption about the concentration in solution.

I came across a guide on Scott labs, but yet even after running successfully through k300s, our turbidity read 36 and clogged the k200s
Did you run through the K200 immediately after the K300? Or did it sit in tank for a day or more between passes?

I have no experience with mead, but in some wines colloidal structures can re-form over time after filtration and clog subsequent filters. If I filter through a K300, I would expect to be able to go directly to a K100 with no trouble...

The technical support folks at Scott Labs are super helpful and might we worth a call...

Latest posts

Back