Cellar Craft Passport 2016 Sauvignon Blanc/Muscat - California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hydrometer is acting up after being in distilled water for a few minutes?

Now is showing a more reasonable number!! WTH....:?
In the ~1.096

I followed instructions for the kit, no mistake here...
ImageUploadedByWine Making1454087731.921262.jpg

You do know that the CO2 coming up from fermentation can lift the hygrometer up and give false (high) readings. I see CO2 bubbles in the pic.

Of course, it is not like my first wine ever made.....LOL
But that was a big jump with no explanation....oh well, back to earth........:fsh

PH ~1.060 now and a bit of smell...

I like the way BA11 ferments as it is not a foam maker at all, but there's some smell and no fermaid k at hand, only yeast nutrient, I'll let it ride as is.

The D47 foams but no smell.

The PH has dropped from initially 3.4x to 2.86. [emoji15]

Room temp in the 60s
Must temp 71F

Last edited:
I have used this yeast 8 times now. The first time out I got a little panicked when I picked up a slight sulfur odor so I added some DAP I had on hand. Sulfur odor went away with the normal rackings. Ever since then I have not added any extra nutrient and while you do get just a hint of sulfur smell the smell has always gone away with normal rackings. BA11 is listed as having a high Nitrogen demand but is also listed as having a low potential for H2S production and SO2. I believe there is enough nutrient in the kits already that you don't need any more.

I have an Eclipse NZ Sauv Blanc finishing up right now in secondary that I used BA11 add it had a slight sulfur odor during the peak ferMax stage and now its gone after racking to glass and has a lovely smell even right now while it is still on the gross lees and finishing out.

Lallemand Yeast Chart

PH ~1.060 now and a bit of smell...

I may have confused the smell with a strong fermentation smell...because the whole basement smelled like yeasties...

I added just a tiny bit of DAP yesterday and today the smell subsided.

SG ~1.032
Must 67F
PH 2.90

SG = ~0.997, racked into a 6gal plastic carboy.
Will leave alone for a couple of days and proceed with degassing, stabilizing, clarifying and f-pack this Sunday.

I left it in open bucket for 8 days with BA11 and room temps in the ~65F. Good results so far.

@ibglowin Mike, do you plan to use both double packets clarifying agents in this kit?
2 chitosan and 2 kielesol.

WE only brings one packet but the CC has two. 2 big packets of chitosan and 2 smaller packets of kieleson.

Also, the instructions in this kit say to add sulfite, degas and wait 2 days, then add sorbate and f-pack.
WE is a bit different in which you add sulfite, sorbate, stir well and intermediately add the f-pack.

I think the reason from CC is to make sure the wine is really well degassed.

Last edited:
No I have made 3 CC Kits (whites) to date that came with the double pack of fining agents and all 3 have cleared perfectly with one package. Just make sure its fully degassed and warm and it should clear just fine with the one package. Remember that CC and WE are very different when it comes to fining agents. CC uses a 2 step fining agent process and WE uses the 1 step process where you actually add the fining agents with ALL the gross less on the wine still.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do, use 1 packet of chitosan and then 1 packet of kielesol.

Also, have you followed the CC instructions where after sulfite they say to add sorbate and f-pack like 2/3 days after?

I am thinking about sulfite, degas really good, then sorbate, f-pack....all today, then add fining agent 2-step process as instructed (only 1 packet each).

Last edited:
I actually add sulfite, degas with vacuum pump, add fining agents and let clear. Once clear, rack off fines, add sorbate and then rest of fpack. Bulk age ~3months and filter then bottle.

Ok.
Although you filter the wine, you're not afraid the f-pack would cloud it back up, is it because you're bulk aging for 3 months after the f-pack and you get sediments that the filter will trap?

The sorbate and f-pack might add a little dust but since I filter no worries. If you don't filter you could always do a final rack just before bottling or you could try the all in one approach I suppose. Don' think it would hurt it either way.

Darn, although the instructions say not to top off, there's a head space in the 6gal plastic carboy of at least 1L, and I don't have a 5gal carboy available now....so I'm going to leave it with head space until tomorrow when I add the chitosan, and will then place into a 6gal glass carboy to then put the head space eliminator. Hopefully with the head space it will be fine with the eliminator.

Does anyone see a problem leaving this much head space in the plastic carboy.
I thought I had an empty glass carboy but nope.

I added fining agents yesterday and today per instructions. The instructions say not to top off in secondary but I always leave in open bucket until dry and they don't mention not to worry about head space during clearing, which will take a couple weeks...

ImageUploadedByWine Making1454982769.951251.jpg

I've seen it suggested on here to take a belt and draw it in on the plastic carboys to eliminate the headspace. Never done it just remember it from reading.

Latest posts

Back