Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say of all the wine's I've made this is the best and most rewarding ever,never fails to win I'm glad you enjoyed it it's not for everyone,its the super Tuscan that I want your appetite on and thanks my fine vino Friend.

Tonight we're drinking BoatboyJim's RJS Cellar Series Super Tuscan with dinner. As is my custom, I like to pour a couple ounces for me and the wife to try while the wine gets a little air before dinner.

It is a big, dark, lush wine. I wish I had the notes from this to see how old it is and what tweaks were done. I believe I deleted Jim's message with that info though.

The flavors are remarkably good, like I was hoping for when I did an ST. Stewed red and dark fruit, tobacco with smooth tannins. I now know why people prefer this over the LE14 (and likely Bravado). While I think the Bravado will be head-and-shoulders better than the LE14 (really, it already is), I think the RJS will stand still taller than the Bravado.

Nicely done, Jim. I may have to make this one just to have a couple cases on hand.

Tonight we're drinking BoatboyJim's RJS Cellar Series Super Tuscan with dinner. As is my custom, I like to pour a couple ounces for me and the wife to try while the wine gets a little air before dinner.

It is a big, dark, lush wine. I wish I had the notes from this to see how old it is and what tweaks were done. I believe I deleted Jim's message with that info though.

The flavors are remarkably good, like I was hoping for when I did an ST. Stewed red and dark fruit, tobacco with smooth tannins. I now know why people prefer this over the LE14 (and likely Bravado). While I think the Bravado will be head-and-shoulders better than the LE14 (really, it already is), I think the RJS will stand still taller than the Bravado.

Nicely done, Jim. I may have to make this one just to have a couple cases on hand.

Thanks, Jim.

This one is just coming up on two years old (reminding me its time to start another) and is now coming into the rotation - started 11/29/14.

Swapped yeast for BM4X4, otherwise, normal process through secondary.
Used the supplied 60g of Hungarian oak cubes during clearing (Jan, 2015)
3 Months in a neutral barrel (june-sept 2015), then another 2 oz of Hungarian oak
1/2 teaspoon of Tannin FT Rouge in Sept, then bottled Nov 11th, 2015.

And tonight it's Craig's Valpo with dinner (eggplant rotalini). The tape on the bottle said to decant... good call. There was a little co2 still in the wine. Now after the second glass it's prime for review. Simple, clean... lighter body. A solid wine to sip on its own or with dinner.

And tonight it's Craig's Valpo with dinner (eggplant rotalini). The tape on the bottle said to decant... good call. There was a little co2 still in the wine. Now after the second glass it's prime for review. Simple, clean... lighter body. A solid wine to sip on its own or with dinner.

Yea, that was still a pre-AIO batch, though I did okay on degassing for the most part. That to me, though it is a simple wine, is the fastest drinkable red I've had. Won't be a year old until the end of the month. Only tweeks were to change the yeast and add some used Dornfelder skins (6 lbs worth). Goes well with pizza on pizza night. I will definitely make that kit again. Thanks for reviewing, Jim.

So tonight we're having a honey soy pork roast and I'm having Jim's en premier Amarone with it. Sampling a pre-dinner sniff before we sit down.

I'm going to assume this is pre merger en premier, made with 250g of dried skins.

It is amazingly dark and full bodied. Not a huge nose from the first glass so far.... Sour cherry. The flavor is excellent, too. Complex and charming at the same time - cherry and leather. A little acid zing on the finish, too.

How old is this? I'm thinking it's in its prime. I'll update this after another glass or two (tho I won't promise my spelling and grammar will hold up well after 2 glasses).

But, seeing as homebrewsupply is having a special, my only question: Amarone or Classico Amarone??

Edit: we had a Forza after the Amarone (which was a year or so younger the the amarone). I like the amarone better. It's been a good night and I'm going to bed shortly. But, the question remains.,,

Last edited:
@jgmann67: Switched yeast out for BM45. Pitched the yeast for that on 6/16/13, so its coming up on 3.5 years old. Kit came with raisins and dried skins. I used the raisins (and oak chips) in secondary. Three weeks in a nearly year old Vadai, then two more months in another barrel that fermented a chardonnay and had a red kit in for 3weeks. Cold stabilized it (which I believe lowered the pH). Gave it some extra tannin and oak about a month prior to bottling in Jan 2014.

@jgmann67: Switched yeast out for BM45. Pitched the yeast for that on 6/16/13, so its coming up on 3.5 years old. Kit came with raisins and dried skins. I used the raisins (and oak chips) in secondary. Three weeks in a nearly year old Vadai, then two more months in another barrel that fermented a chardonnay and had a red kit in for 3weeks. Cold stabilized it (which I believe lowered the pH). Gave it some extra tannin and oak about a month prior to bottling in Jan 2014.

It's really very good. I need to make this kit. I don't have a vadai or barrel, but I can tinker around them.

It's really very good. I need to make this kit. I don't have a vadai or barrel, but I can tinker around them.

You could try some oak barrel staves or Xoakers, they supposedly release their oaky goodness over a longer period of time (Xoakers say a minimum of six months up to a year). That's the route I'm going. I have trouble enough with other parts of the wine making process, I don't need to introduce a barrel into the middle of it at this point.

You could try some oak barrel staves or Xoakers, they supposedly release their oaky goodness over a longer period of time (Xoakers say a minimum of six months up to a year). That's the route I'm going. I have trouble enough with other parts of the wine making process, I don't need to introduce a barrel into the middle of it at this point.

I'm in the same boat...

You two are being silly. Look at a barrel like a wooden carboy that makes your wine better than glass. They're no big deal to manage.

And from what I recall about the price of the xoakers, a few batches and you could've bought a barrel.

I never really needed one would have been nice to have but there are other ways around the corner.

And from what I recall about the price of the xoakers, a few batches and you could've bought a barrel.

I'm more worried about not having an SO2 measurement solution that I can trust. I know from a few posts here that the SO2 drops like a rock when the wine is in a barrel, and don't want to risk over oxidizing a wine just because I don't have a good measurement solution. When I get the solution, I think a barrel will be in play, until then I'll use added wood products to my carboys to simulate a barrel, flavor wise (I know I can't simulate the micro-oxidation that goes on with barrel aging).

Plus ~ $7 for enough Xoakers to treat 4-8 gallons won't buy me a barrel real quick, especially only doing a few red wines from grapes each year.

Last edited:
:ib
I'm more worried about not having an SO2 measurement solution that I can trust. I know from a few posts here that the SO2 drops like a rock when the wine is in a barrel, and don't want to risk over oxidizing a wine just because I don't have a good measurement solution. When I get the solution, I think a barrel will be in play, until then I'll use added wood products to my carboys to simulate a barrel, flavor wise (I know I can't simulate the micro-oxidation that goes on with barrel aging).

Plus ~ $7 for enough Xoakers to treat 4-8 gallons won't buy me a barrel real quick, especially only doing a few red wines from grapes each year.

Not too big of a deal to manage Craig, I've read here, and proven for myself, that the 1/4 tsp you put into your wine when it goes into the 6 gallon barrel is near zero in one month. I top up monthly, adding 1/4 tsp to the topping wine each time. Never had a problem and don't test any longer.

:ib

Not too big of a deal to manage Craig, I've read here, and proven for myself, that the 1/4 tsp you put into your wine when it goes into the 6 gallon barrel is near zero in one month. I top up monthly, adding 1/4 tsp to the topping wine each time. Never had a problem and don't test any longer.

I do need to get a good testing option first, not just for a barrel but my other wines as well. I made a lower end Pinot Grigio kit last January that if tasted beside one of my juice bucket Pinots, I can taste the Kmeta and I used what came with the kit. That was a wake up call that I need to get a more precise measurement of what is in my wines before I bottle. Hopefully I'll get a vinmetrica or something else and can test that wine and note that as my Kmeta "tasting threshold", and depending on the pH aim a bit lower.

Geek nice job on the Amoroso..good abv. taste up front ...kito was impressed, once again nice job.

IMG_20161104_182731778.jpg

IMG_20161104_183017864.jpg

Back