Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of BBJim's Barolo for dinner tonight. It looks like it's hitting prime time at 4 and a half years old.

May have given you a bad date on that one, Jim. It is coming up on 3 years. Pitched 10/22/13.

Getting a pre-dinner taste of the Barolo. I've never had a Barolo, so I don't have a point of reference. But, I really like this wine. Very nicely done, Jim!

Tannic and acidic, with sour cherry, leather and an ABV just north of 14%. It's like a more compact Forza. This will pair fantastically with the London broil tonight.

Did this get time in the barrel? The color is deep and just a little brickish.

Having a pre-dinner test of @jgmann67 's Amarone. Nice, big oaky nose with dark cherry. Solid acid that brings it together. Color right where it should be for a big, Italian red. Surprised after tasting that there weren't big, long legs in the glass. But that is just a visual and doesn't take away at all from my enjoyment of this wine. Also doing steak tonight - a big, fat, bone in ribeye that I took from a roast several months back. Should be a nice pairing. Nice job, Jim - good stuff!

I made a cheapo Barolo last year from the World Vineyard line I think? The 10L kit, and bottled about 2 months ago and let me tell you that this cheapo wine impressed me....I can only image how good is the Eclipse line and aged for 3 years.....:HB

Having a pre-dinner test of @jgmann67 's Amarone. Nice, big oaky nose with dark cherry. Solid acid that brings it together. Color right where it should be for a big, Italian red. Surprised after tasting that there weren't big, long legs in the glass. But that is just a visual and doesn't take away at all from my enjoyment of this wine. Also doing steak tonight - a big, fat, bone in ribeye that I took from a roast several months back. Should be a nice pairing. Nice job, Jim - good stuff!

That's a youngster, too, Jim - only been about 9 months from starting it. You'll have to try another after it's been properly aged. Maybe it will grow some legs in the bottle over time. [emoji41]

I've got others of BBJim's wines calling to me as well - just waiting for the right moment to pop one open.

I drank the taster of Craig's (@ceeaton) Forza the other night and it was pleasing. Up until last year, I really hadn't developed an appreciation for Italian wines. But, it seems that the way my taste buds are headed. The Forza was big ABV, garnet red. After about an hour, the wine opened up quite a bit more and the flavors really came out - cherry and bitter chocolate. Lucky for me, Mrs. Mann didn't want to finish hers (worried about getting a headache)... and you know how I feel about wasting wine. :db

I'd love to do a head-to-head with others who have done the Forza just to see if there's any difference between them.

Lucky for me, Mrs. Mann didn't want to finish hers (worried about getting a headache)...

I'd love to do a head-to-head with others who have done the Forza just to see if there's any difference between them.

Tell her my wine is guaranteed to not give a headache, if she drinks enough.

I have a Kiwisholland Forza taster here, BM 4x4 started 8/8/2015. So if we go down and rob Boatboy Jim of another of his, we have yours and mine, plus B. Hollands, there's four! I'm sure we could drum up a few more. Sounds like a future red wine competition in the making.

If it is at your house, make sure you call me a taxi or make me stay at my sisters house, those Forza's are potent.

Tell her my wine is guaranteed to not give a headache, if she drinks enough.

I have a Kiwisholland Forza taster here, BM 4x4 started 8/8/2015. So if we go down and rob Boatboy Jim of another of his, we have yours and mine, plus B. Hollands, there's four! I'm sure we could drum up a few more. Sounds like a future red wine competition in the making.QUOTE]

I'd be willing to donate a bottle to the cause as well.............

BoatboyJim's Sauvignon Blanc Rose. We had this with dinner tonight along with a pear salad and coconut encrusted haddock. It was a perfect choice. Just enough sweet tied in with strong backbone of acidity. I liked this so much - it reminded me of a few French rose wines that I had last year - I'm trying to get signed on to labelpeelers to order my own kit so I have this ready for summer sipping by the pool.

Now if I can just figure out why the labelpeelers site is hung up right now.

Last edited:
BoatboyJim's Sauvignon Blanc Rose. We had this with dinner tonight along with a pear salad and coconut encrusted haddock. It was a perfect choice. Just enough sweet tied in with strong backbone of acidity. I liked this so much - it reminded me of a few French rose wines that I had last year - I'm trying to get signed on to labelpeelers to order my own kit so I have this ready for summer sipping by the pool.

Now if I can just figure out why the labelpeelers site is hung up right now.

Half the f-pack in primary, along with a little additional sugar.

Geeks arrivals

La BODEGA,THIS PORT SMELLED VERY FAMILIAR TO ME AS SOON AS I OPENNED IT HAS BACK THE BACKGROUND OF THE COFFEE PORT AND THE CARAMEL PORTS ,I'VE MADE I BELIEVE THIS IS THE SAME BASE WITHOUT THE FPAC OR ENHANCEMENTS ,AS YOU CAN SEE IT'S ALMOST GONE ,NICE JOB GEEK.

IMG_20161020_172714364.jpg

Tried this RJS coffee port style from @joeswine

What can I say, Joe is one of the kings on this area. Nice aroma, went well after dinner. A stronger coffee flavor than what I like but very nice around and balance with sweetness and alcohol.
Will be sipping this one for a couple days, and I don't drink coffee [emoji4]

The blackberry chocolate is next and can't wait.

Thanks Joe for the trade.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1477347374.494664.jpg

Back