Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this evening I had a glass of Ffemt's Tart Cherry, outstanding. BUT the problem lies in the fact that Doug has to tell me how he mixed some with his Noble and really liked it. So now I haveto curse you Doug cuz I did that too and OMG is that a great blend! Now I have to get some cherry juice and blend it with some Noble!

Didn't I tell you it was good...I was surprised when mixed them how well it turned out..

Battlefield Blush

From Bushy Run Winery,

Real nice mouthfeel, just the right amount of sharpness and the flavor just lingers on.

Again, let me say, I WANT MORE!

Nice job Bill, I guess you really did listen to what I taught you :)

I'm enjoying some Diablo Rojo I picked up from @ceeaton this morning. It is sweet, but there is a bright acidity that balances it out. It's going well with the chips and salsa verde I'm snacking on. This one is good on its own, and I also think it'd make a killer sangria.

I'm enjoying some Diablo Rojo I picked up from @ceeaton this morning. It is sweet, but there is a bright acidity that balances it out. It's going well with the chips and salsa verde I'm snacking on. This one is good on its own, and I also think it'd make a killer sangria.

Never thought of using it for that, but that really makes some sense. Wondering which would be better, that IM Sangria or the Diablo Rojo with a bunch of fruit....might have to save one of each to give to you in the fall for an "independent" trial.

What do you suggest from what you gave me? I'm planning to try and stay up until the Eagles pick in 4 hours or so. If they trade the pick I'm nuking Philly.

What do you suggest from what you gave me? I'm planning to try and stay up until the Eagles pick in 4 hours or so. If they trade the pick I'm nuking Philly.

Tough to say. I see you're having pizza and have already had beer. Maybe quickly chill that cloudy Viognier in the freezer. The zin might be good, but as I said in the notes, I think it needs some air time. Oh, heck. Just pick one.

Tough to say. I see you're having pizza and have already had beer. Maybe quickly chill that cloudy Viognier in the freezer. The zin might be good, but as I said in the notes, I think it needs some air time. Oh, heck. Just pick one.

I just hit a wall. Sticking with a beer and an early bed time, I'm feeling old this evening.

Did have a good idea, might keep that Stags leap you had in the barrel and compare it with @jgmann 's that wasn't through a barrel. Though I haven't talked with him I think we both are heading towards the barrel, just hopefully not the bottom of the barrel.

Okay, got my second wind. Waiting (waited) for the Eagles to pick a center, very exciting (not), so I figured I'd open a bottle that Jim gave me that I would only have a small glass. So I opened his Black Forest Port.

As the kids would text, OMG! The glass is now sitting about 1.5 feet from my nose and I can smell it. What a wonderful concentrated aroma of chocolate, alcohol and almost a sherry nose (from the high alcohol, not oxidation). Took a sip and ran upstairs to my wife who was quietly reading a book in bed (she's gotta get up at 4 am) and said "smell this and if you like it take a sip". She took a whiff and immediately took a sip. She loved it. What an intense chocolaty flavor. I need to make this Port!

Jim, is that the Black Forrest Desert wine they have on FVW?

Edit: I'm still on the same glass, this is not for the timid. Truly intense flavors, I love this port. It has a very clean flavor profile, just very intense, yum yum (I rarely give more than one yum).

Edit 2: Holy Guacamole...what's the alcohol on this one?? In case I didn't say it, this is a really good port. I just wish my wife didn't like it since she wants me to save some for her for tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Yes, @ceeaton , this is the RJS Black Forest Port that is currently on preorder at FVW.

I neglected to include notes for you on this one, so here goes:

Pitched 9/2/13, bottled 11/27/13. Used EC-1118 yeast. Original SG of 1.112. When it had fermented down to 1.074, I added sugar, bringing it back to 1.092. Fortified with roughly 3/4 of a bottle of brandy. Full f-pack added after fermentation was complete. That's about it. Didn't change too much.

Pitched 9/2/13, bottled 11/27/13.

I told my wife that it was an example of a nicely aged wine, even without knowing the start date. Yet another lesson to me to leave and forget about at least a few bottles so they can age properly before I scarf them up. Still have 1/2 the bottle for her this evening, if she forgets about it, it's all mine!

Now you guys "forced" me to taste my La Bodega port from MM to check how is coming along...[emoji3]

Decided to crack the Pinot Grigio from @ceeaton a few minutes ago. I haven't had a ton of PG, but to me, this is a great example of one. Perfectly clear, nice and dry with a nice acid bite. Nice job, Craig!

Drinking a 375 ml bottle of Super Tuscan that @jgmann67 gave to me earlier this year. Really nice flavor that most reminds me of the Forza but not as intense. Sour cherry and a nice mouth feel to this wine. Love the Italian reds and this definitely fits the bill. Thanks Jim!

Just popped the (synthetic) cork on a WE Eclipse Piedmont Barolo that @richmke swapped with me. This is about 2 to 2.5 years old at this point. We swapped wines well over a year ago, but he advised me to age this one another 6 to 12 months. This was worth it!

The wine was quite impressive. Not much on the nose, as with most kits. The taste, however, was full and rich. A slight sweetness, perhaps, but scrumptious, rich flavors: boysenberry, dates, currants. Slight hint of cough medicine. Fulfilling mouthfeel. Nice work, Rich and WE!

Amarone

Well, well, look what was on my doorstep last night. One of Joe's Amarone. Can't wait to try this. Thanks Joe. Will report back once consumed.

Amarone.jpg

Drinking a 375 ml bottle of Super Tuscan that @jgmann67 gave to me earlier this year. Really nice flavor that most reminds me of the Forza but not as intense. Sour cherry and a nice mouth feel to this wine. Love the Italian reds and this definitely fits the bill. Thanks Jim!

You're very welcome. Hopefully you have another to try in a few months. It's improved quite a bit since bottling and I'm hoping for good things at the 1 year mark.

Your sangria will meet its demise this weekend. Notes to follow.

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of drinking a @Boatboy24 (Jim's) 2014 Amador Zinfandel, from 10/12/2014 - he had added some acidulated water since the initial Brix was so high, and later 6 months in his barrel plus about 10% of a 2013 Petite Sirah to beef it up a bit.

His comments mentioned an alcoholic bite, which I got but only on the initial sip. I found it to be incredibly smooth with oak from the initial taste through the finish, but nice and spicy which married with the Zin spiciness. Some of the bite came back as it temperature rose above 65*F, but this one stays nice between 55-60*F IMHO. Wasn't overly jammy or heavy, which he attributed to the addition of the water to lower the initial Brix.

I need to leave a bunch of wine alone and let it age to 2 years plus. His wine was really enjoyable. I stopped at my third glass since I may have to be taxi driver to some of the kids later this evening (after Field Hockey and Football games end).

Nice job Jim, thanks for letting me sample it!

9-9 -16_Boatboys_Zin-2.jpg

Well, well, look what was on my doorstep last night. One of Joe's Amarone. Can't wait to try this. Thanks Joe. Will report back once consumed.

Ok, can't remember if I reported back elsewhere. I really liked this wine, and I will tell you right now, if I don't like your wine, I will say so, as I would expect with one of mine. I have never had an Amarone, so didn't know what to compare it to. This had very nice flavors and a decent nose to it. What I noticed the most was how well balanced it was. It is a kit I would definitely like to try.

Ok, can't remember if I reported back elsewhere. I really liked this wine, and I will tell you right now, if I don't like your wine, I will say so, as I would expect with one of mine. I have never had an Amarone, so didn't know what to compare it to. This had very nice flavors and a decent nose to it. What I noticed the most was how well balanced it was. It is a kit I would definitely like to try.

I made this after Steve and Joe did this together as Steve's (AIO guy) first kit. So far, I've just tasted the scraps and it is very good - plum and sour cherry, vanilla and a little leather... It will only get better.

Latest posts

Back