Original Skeeter Pee Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got the sg down to 1.000 this morning and all went well but like arne said its kinda stinky and not a whole lot lemony as expected I'm going to try and back sweeten with a frozen lemon concentrate and next Bach ill backsweeten with a pink lemonade. Then next batch with raspberry. But whats a good yeast for country fruit because I think the montrachet is giving it an off flavor or could it be my well water?

I normally use lavlin 1122 for most of my fruit wines and I have not had a issue using the slurry for skeeter pee

Ok ill pick some of that up and 1118 I also heard is good with fruit wines

You best get a bucket for a primary and either a few gal. jugs for secondary or a 5 gal. carboy. Bet you are going to find you can't make it fast enough to keep up with 1 gal. batches. Arne.

Just picked up some buckets only 2 gallons 2 of them but that will get me rocking and rolling a but more. Now should I punch a whole for a airlock or just cover with a towel

Just cover primary with a towel or loose lid.
I use Lavlin EC-1118 for all of these skeeter pee type wines.

You can also use a mix of real lemon and real lime juice. I start with all real lemon and then around SG 1.020 add in the real lime. Gives it a different flavor. After it has fermented dry I rack it onto all kind of concentrates. I use Old Orchard 100%. Blueberry Pomegranate, Cherry, Mango Passionfruit, etc.

Ok kool im interested in doing a blueberry strawberry and raspberry sp. Right now tho with my original sp I can't seem to get it full degassed ive been stirring it up a good couple times a day now then tonight I jimmyed up a clothes hanger drill combo. And gave it a good go forward and reverse and im still getting a lot of bubbles in the carboy only when I shake it when it sits idle it doesn't bubble ive got the sg down below 1.000 but the only thing ive done wrong is maybe add to much nutrient and energized. I also used montrachet red star. Is it normal for degassing to take so long?

Can't really tell you with the 5/6 gal. batches. I read about this alot, the degassing issue. That is why I stick to 1 and 2 gal. batches. Never have any issues and it makes plenty of wine for our consumption.

Ok kool im interested in doing a blueberry strawberry and raspberry sp. Right now tho with my original sp I can't seem to get it full degassed ive been stirring it up a good couple times a day now then tonight I jimmyed up a clothes hanger drill combo. And gave it a good go forward and reverse and im still getting a lot of bubbles in the carboy only when I shake it when it sits idle it doesn't bubble ive got the sg down below 1.000 but the only thing ive done wrong is maybe add to much nutrient and energized. I also used montrachet red star. Is it normal for degassing to take so long?

You very well could be add bubbles to the wine if you stir it too virtuously.
You need to stir moderately and then let it sit and calm down and then stir again.

I have stired for close to 15 minutes in an effort to degass without using long term storage.

But all this talk of SP is getting me to think about another batch....

Thanks I got it degassed and added a tiny bit of bentonite and not even 12 hrs later it's perfectly clear! Im going to let it sit a little longer rack, backsweeten and im in there

Just being a nitpicker here. You listed everything except adding Kmeta and Sorbate together to stabilize. You really gotta do that at least a few days before you backsweeten or else fermentation will kick up again.

Just wanted to be sure.

Pam in cinti

Yea I kno I dont have any, just got into wine making recently. All that including starsan is on my next order list so for this one ill just use splenda and keep in the fridge. Its only 1 gallon batch. So im hoping the cold in the fridge and if I use splenda it wont start back up. I may not even backsweeten if I like it. Its my first time making it and only my 3rd ever made so im learning as I go but I very much do appreciate your input. In my opinion I think u have to nitpick if u want a good wine.

Ok so I just finished clearing my pee ha , anyway I tried a little and not to good. I left out tannin because I had none and I used bentonite instead of sparkeloid. Did I strip flavor with the bentonite or does the lack of tannin make that big of a difference? Its just kinda bland with a slight tart lemony taste

Arne where ya at on this one?

Ok im going to try that tonight and im going to do an sp on top of my db slurry but do u think the lack of tannin made that big of a difference?

I started another batch of this last weekend. I decided to go with 1116 yeast this time. Starting sg for 6 gallons was 1.084, when I checked yesterday it was down to 1.076. I have a nice ferment going with the temps being about 68 degrees with a brew belt.

Well I back sweetend my first sp and well I like it alot. I cant wait to make some more batches and I actually just scored a nice big carboy today at a yard sale so im going to try and age some till summer

Well I back sweetend my first sp and well I like it alot. I cant wait to make some more batches and I actually just scored a nice big carboy today at a yard sale so im going to try and age some till summer

Want a bit of advise?? Going to get it anyway, LOL. Get out your 20 gal. brute fermenter and make a double batch. That way you mite wind up with enough left over to let it sit til summer. Stuff tends to disappear pretty fast. Everybody seems to want some. Arne.

Latest posts

Back