oregon fruit puree

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmandan

Junior
Reaction score
i have yet to make my first batch of wine. my goals at the moment are to make fruit wine and in one gallon batchs. (one gallon batchs to start, larger batchs will eventually be in the future.)
being that i also brew my own beer, i know that there is a company called "oregon fruit" where one would be able to buy cans of fruit puree to add their beer to add fruit flavor. i'm wondering if any one here has tried using the fruit puree from this company to make fruit wine? if so, what's the best way to use these fruit purees from this company to make a good fruit wine?

I haven't used one in a very long time, did when I first started making wine. The best advice I can give you is use the 3 gallon batch, there are recipes on the can. I believe I used the raspberry.

I would not use it for making wine. It is designed for adding "flavor" to beer. If you want to make friut wine why not try Strawberry from "frozen" berries. You can get them @ Sams Club.

if buying the frozen berries from a sam's club, costco, etc., would work better, my next question would be how many pounds of berries might i need to make a 1 and/or 3 gallon batch? also, would the amount of pounds depend on the kind of berries (blueberry, raspberry, cherry, etc.) to be use?
also, since i haven't bought a juicing press yet, any suggestions on what would be the best way to press the juices out of the berries?

general rule is 5#s of fruit, go to the recipe section there are a lot recipes for a lot of different fruit, this will give a pretty good idea. Use a mesh bag to put your fruit in. Most people will buy 5 gallon paint strainer bags from HomeDepot or Lowes. Then squeeze the fruit daily and/or sanitize a drill mounted paint stirrer and used that to chop up the fruit, then pour into a mesh bag. Depending on the type of fruit.

Strawberry I would bump it up to 6-7# per gal and 25% more of that total for a f-pac. Reason is strawberry has alot of water.

If you want to make fruit wines then the "Vintners Harvest wine bases" are much better for making wine. The only thing is that they are designed for 3 or 5 gallon batches so you may want to make a few different blends or something once you open the can. Hees a link to the product Im talking about and most places that carry that product (Home Brew Supplies) will usually carry this also.
http://www.finevinewines.com/c-274-fruit-bases.aspx

Back