Orange wine sour/sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Guy_Brad

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to making wine but the one i'm in the process of making right now just seems plain odd...

It has a like a sour smell/taste and tastes very sweet even though its down to 1.005 S.G. its also quite potent (~16.5%abv) as the recipe i used made the starting S.G very high @ 1.130

So this sour/sweet taste/smell is it in any way normal?
Will it go away over time?
Should i try blending it with a weaker dry?

Recipe:
Size: 4 gal
Starting S.G 1.130
Yeast: k1-1116
Yeast nutrient 2tap
k-meta 1/4tsp
4 cans frozen orange conc
2 cans welch's white grape conc
sugar- 10lbs (yes i know now this is way too much and i should have realized when making but i did not know when i mixed it up)
(the recipe called for 2.5lb sugar per gal)

I made the same mistake on a batch of Calamondin wine. I blindly followed the recipe and made sour rocket fuel! My solution was to make a very lite skeeter pee with just enough sugar to get it to about 5% then when it was fermenting nicely, I split it into two carboys thern added one gallon of the calamondin to each
every other day. It worked, I did not kill the yeast and actually ended up with a pretty nice wine. You may want to do something similar.

So it wont taste better on its own over time?
Why did you add it while it was fermenting instead of just waiting till the skeeter pee was actually done and then add it?

You said it had a sour smell and taste but was still very sweet. If it is sweet, there is still fermentable sugars. That is why I mixed during active fermentation. I mixed slowly so the high alc. content would not kill or stun the yeast. By the way, I was using EC1118 yeast.

you are definitely making rocket fuel, like pjd has said, make a lower alcohol wine. What is your current hydrometer reading?

What is your current hydrometer reading?

It has a like a sour smell/taste and tastes very sweet even though its down to 1.005 S.G. its also quite potent (~16.5%abv) as the recipe i used made the starting S.G very high @ 1.130
You said it had a sour smell and taste but was still very sweet. If it is sweet, there is still fermentable sugars. That is why I mixed during active fermentation. I mixed slowly so the high alc. content would not kill or stun the yeast. By the way, I was using EC1118 yeast.

With it being down to 1.005 there isn't terribly much sugar left thats why the very sweet taste puzzles me. I back-sweetened my other wine to 1.009 and it does not taste anywhere as sweet as this one does at 1.005

Latest posts

Back