RJ Spagnols OCP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I bottled my orange chocolate port yesterday and forgot to add the 1/4t of k-met!! Is my wine still going to be good a year from now?
smiley19.gif

yes, wines with this much residual sugar have a much better structure for advanced aging, and usually will not need the extra k-meta. Couple this with the fact that it's a port (to me all port can use a little oxidation) and you'll be just fine!

My first batch is started to near the 3 year mark (one of the first kits off the line from RJS) and is just as delicious today as it was when I first pitched the yeast.

ok, this is good to know. I feel better.
smiley1.gif
My CRP turned out so delicious, I wanted this one to be just as good. Can't wait for the holidays when I open one up!!

If they offer this again go on and buy another - this is that good!
VPC

VPC, I plan on buying 2 kits of each once George gets them again!! I absolutely love the CRP!!! Never drank a port in my 56 yrs, so what a surprise when I fell in love with it!! haha
smiley31.gif

I'm with ya on that uav, the CRP is on the top of my list.

It's at the top ofmine too. I just fininshed bottlng the CRP and still have a little in my glass; fantastic. I'd really like to try the OCP as well.

I have both and do believe the CRP is better by just a little which is surprising cause i usually prefer the RJS kits. I also must add that the Peach Ice wine is to die for as its not super sweet like most Ice wines are and the perfect amount of Peach taste to it!

That would be Chocolate Raspberry Port, one I would love to try. However since I am allergic to raspberries, I'll pass.

I have several that are weird - pork and potatoes as well as the common dairy. Between all of the the most challenging is potatoes because so many things have potato starch or sugars.
VPC

My husband LOVES the OCP! It's hasn't even been bottled 3 months and 1/2 the bottles are gone (okay - I gave one to my brother)! He recently tasted an ice wine that has aged a bit and he now understands that some wines need time to improve, mellow, flavor enhance...Next year I'll have to get 2 of these and at least one of the CRP!

My RJS Cru Select Ice wine was horrible when just bottled but after 8 months is just dang delish! So far Im not to happy with the OCP though. IMO the W.E. RCP was way better and I usually like RJS way better.

I just bottled my first OCP - this stuff is unbelievable good. I bottled 5 -187ml bottles so I can sample it every couple of months. The chocolate aroma of this wine fills the whole room.

Now you'all have done it, again. Yesterday I went to my local wine shop and tried their sampling port. It was my first time ever trying a port and it was gooood
smiley1.gif
Now I find out that there's "CHOCOLATE" port !! That will have to go on my list to buy!!!

I did the Choc Raspberry Port last fall --

--- and just ordered an Orange Choc Port from George!!! I saw it 'in stock' on the website, and called... Joseph said they had 1 so Iordered it --- I think that 1 is the one in the box on the truck on it's way to MN right now.
smiley4.gif
Both my sister and my husband said they though Orange Choc sounded better than Rasp Choc. I think <fill in the blank> Choc sounds just find!!

My wife opened a bottle of my OCP and it did come out pretty god, I still think the CRP was better. I received 2 bottles of OCP from someone a few months ago and it wasnt as good as mine came out but believe it was due to cork taint. The person used corks bought in bulk and the second bottle that I opened about a month ago was even drinkable. The cork was almost soaked all the way through and gave the wine a very funny taste. It was the first time I have experienced cork taint and boy am I glad I use George's corks.

I too was able to find a Chocolate Raspberry kit from a winery that I order from here in my state. Now I've got to waiton one of my two primarys.

Question: since this is basicly a 1/2 sized kit to all the one's that I've done before.... do I also need a 1/2 sized carboy??? (a 3 gal vs a 6 gal??) and when this is bottled, does it go into the smaller bottles too?? (so still about 30 bottles, but they are the little bottles)
thanks, TinaLouise

Latest posts

Back