Oak in my Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1

Reaction score
I have split up a 4 gal mead into blackberry melomel, blueberry melomel and peach melomel.. I have put 1 oz of American oak in both the blackberry and blueberry. Not having ever used oak before I think I need a little guidance. Fermentation seems to have ceased in the mel but I haven't just stood there and stared at it. I thought some mead was done once and tried bottling it. Wrong, don't want to make that mistake again. How long should I leave these on the oak? My intent is to leave these three under airlock for at least 6 months. The rest of the mead is still under lock until I make up my mind what else to do.

Oak in melomels is nice, do you use a hydrometer to measure your gravity? Leave it in until you need to rack it again, Crackedcork

Hi Crackedcork, thanks for the quick response. Yes I keep track of the SG. I was concerned the oak might overpower the berry taste. Always best to ask than find out the hard way. Glad your the one that responded as I also had a question on elderberry bushs. I planted four this past spring and was hoping for a small berry crop next year. The plants do not seem to be growing as fast as I think they should. The soul was prepared for them, but they just seem to be taking a long time getting established. Is it possible to have a small crop the second year, or am I really pushing it? I have asked these folks around here if they know of any wild plants and all I get back is "What's an elderberry?" I know there has to be some around here. Jer

the oak is good in blackberry not sure about blueberry. The peach use more heavy toasted. I like the med toasted Hungarian for peach. I use it for both peach and apple but am trying american light toasted for apple this year to get a little more from it.

I cant tell you about growing elders in Texas, are you in the hot dry part or the hot dry part? We put drip irrigation on ours, it really helped them out when they started, along with plastic mulch for the first year although any mulch should work. Cracked

bob1 I haven't put any oak in the peach and do not have any hungarian. I'll add the American to the peach as well.

Cracked Yes I'm in the hot part of Texas. East Texas. But then again where in Texas is it cool? I'm in the process of putting in irrigation to all of my goodies. I lost 43 blackberry plants last year due to the heat. I watered them with a soaker hose, but the heat for almost 90 days straight with no rain was too much. I'm thinking seriously about shade netting for the ones Ill plant this fall to replace them. I'll be able to replace some due to the tipping of the ones I have left, but I'm going to be out a few sheckles replacing the rest of them. So I should have about the same setup that you have for plant maintenance.

Latest posts

Back