Oak barrels for Blackberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I am going to buy an American Oak barrel (23 L)<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
smiley1.gif
</v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>
Apparently the ratio of wood compare with the quantity of wine (23 L) can over oak the wine. How long do you think I should leave a Blackberry port in the barrel?

New barrels are very potent. The amount of time in the barrel depends on your personal tastes. I would start taking taste tests after a month. But you could end up leaving it in a few months or more.

What was your port recipe?

You may want to stock up with some wine to keep the barrel wet. I understand it is much easier to take of when its full.
smiley2.gif

VC

I am hoping to leave it in the barrel for at least one month, until I get another batch ready.

Casper,

Use your taste as the judge - if it's a brand new barrel, taste the wine every 3-4 days. When it hits the right level for you, rack out the port, give a thorough rinse and then rack in the next wine waiting to be oaked. It's a generally good practice to use your own tastebuds to determine when something is ready instead of a prescribed measurement.

- Jim

When you order the barrel... You should ask the manufacturer for their recommendation. They will know their barrels better then anyone. And I am sure they are wine makers.

JimCook said:
Casper,

Use your taste as the judge - if it's a brand new barrel, taste the wine every 3-4 days. When it hits the right level for you, rack out the port, give a thorough rinse and then rack in the next wine waiting to be oaked. It's a generally good practice to use your own tastebuds to determine when something is ready instead of a prescribed measurement.

- Jim

Thanks for the advise. I like the ideal to taste it every 3-4 days.
smiley4.gif

Goodfella said:
When you order the barrel... You should ask the manufacturer for their recommendation. They will know their barrels better then anyone. And I am sure they are wine makers.

Good ideal I will do that.

Latest posts

Back