Slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I have three 30 L of raspberry port, still in the primary fermenter since two weeks. The fermentation is very slow , and some hydrogen sulfide started to appear. I treated the wine with cooper and also add some yeast energizer. The started SG was 1.120 and now it is 1.040 SG is going down at around 0.002 each day now. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Should I transfer the wine in carboy?
Should I add Yeast Energizer again (last time was 4 days ago)?
Is the temp to low I have heater belt on each (the temp is at 18 to 19 degrees Celsius)?
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

I am a bit scared that the hydrogen sulfide re-start again.
Your help will be appreciate.

What!

18-19 degrees C is pretty darn cold for yeast to ferment. You should crank it up to 22-23 C. That should get the yeast happy and active again.I would not add any more yeast energizer. Don't worry about the H2S smell until your finished fermenting. Warm it up, give it a good stir and it should come back to life. It it doesn't and the fermentation is stuck at least its a Port that will not be hurt so much by not being fermented initially to dry.

Maybe some yeast nutrient is needed. the must could be stressing a bit.

BOB

I will try to bring the temp up, my friend has extra belts.

And add some yeast nutrient

I just talked to a wine judge and I said to add half of a tablet ofPantothenic acid it is a B vitamin andhe said that it should prevent the hydrogen sulfide to form.

Thanks

What yeast are you using? Some yeast a very prone to H2S, and what PPM amounts do you have with your sulphates? Both Free SO2 and total SO2 if you measure that stuff. If not, how much have you added to your 30L batch?

how much yeast also did you start with? 1.120 is a very high starting gravity and it can stress the yeast to start in such a liquid. I also agree about your temps being too low. I'm in Canada to, but my fermentation room doesn't get that cold. I use a small oil based heater just for that room.

Dean said:
What yeast are you using? Some yeast a very prone to H2S, and what PPM amounts do you have with your sulphates? Both Free SO2 and total SO2 if you measure that stuff. If not, how much have you added to your 30L batch?

how much yeast also did you start with? 1.120 is a very high starting gravity and it can stress the yeast to start in such a liquid. I also agree about your temps being too low. I'm in Canada to, but my fermentation room doesn't get that cold. I use a small oil based heater just for that room.

Sorry took me long time to reply, I was on course. Yeast EC-1118, I put extra belts and add some yeast nutrient and it did the work. The wine is clearing now.

Latest posts

Back