Oak Barrel with Blackberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I just filled my Oak Barrel (23 Litre) with <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Blackberry</st1:placeName> <st1:place w:st="on">Port.</st1:place></st1:place> My plan is to leave it in the barrel until the next blackberry port so one year. Remove half from thebarreland refresh it with the new batch, and I will do that each year. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Now my question is the barrel needs to be top up during the year, should I top it up with wine or water? or half and half
smiley5.gif

Because this process may last up to 10 years even more, so a lot of top up.

I hope its not a new barrel you are using????

My Blackberry Port just came out of the barrel. I use the Brandy (fortifier) to top up. I just keep track of how much I use, so the ABV doesnt go higher then I want.

Goodfella said:
I hope its not a new barrel you are using????

My Blackberry Port just came out of the barrel. I use the Brandy (fortifier) to top up. I just keep track of how much I use, so the ABV doesnt go higher then I want.
No I have been using the barrel for one years with Raspberry Port, Humm never thought about Brandy. How long did you keep your Port in the barrel?

I would think you would want to sample as it ages in the barrel to determine how long to leave it in there.

Latest posts

Back