Not sure what I'm trying to clear.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flapbreaker

Junior
Reaction score
I made a kit port wine by Mosti Mondiale. I've followed the directions except I didn't bottle it yet because there's still floaty stuff in the lower half of the carboy. Some of it will settle and I've racked twice. Each time I rack the wine seems clear and there doesn't seem to be as much stuff in the wine as it looks like through the carboy. I've tried storing it in a cold location but that didn't seem to do anything. I really thought this last racking would do the trick but there just seems to be clumps of purple stuff hanging along the walls of the carboy. They are not necessarily attached. Right now I'm using a better bottle and if I thump the side the clumps want to rise, not fall. Should I just wait it out or try something like superkleer? I've degassed several times just to be sure.

How does it smell and taste. If it smells or tastes bad I would wonder about some kind of spoilage going on. If it is fine, smell and taste, I would guess you still have some co2 in there trying to excape. When it gets out, the solids will fall and you can rack the wine off it. Just my best guess, Arne.

How does it smell and taste. If it smells or tastes bad I would wonder about some kind of spoilage going on. If it is fine, smell and taste, I would guess you still have some co2 in there trying to excape. When it gets out, the solids will fall and you can rack the wine off it. Just my best guess, Arne.

It seems to smell and taste fine. Oddly, i noticed that if I pointed the flashlight too long and from too close of a distance the "stuff" would start to rise. This is the first kit I've made that used grape skins so maybe this is just some pectin/protein or something. I guess I'll just wait it out.

You may want to try a fining agent. Sounds to me you have something that needs some help reaching the bottom. Sparkaloid or superkleer work well from what I hear.

You may want to try a fining agent. Sounds to me you have something that needs some help reaching the bottom. Sparkaloid or superkleer work well from what I hear.

I'm going to try some superkleer. It is possible that I didn't have all the co2 out when I used the fining agents from the kit.

Mosti kits are bugers for me to clear. Several times (at least three) I have had to do a second clearing with supercleer.

Latest posts

Back