No Rinse

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
Am I the only one that still triple rinses his bottles and carboys after using the One Step No Rinse sanitizer?

since the one step would sanitize the bottles, what are you rinsing with that will keep it sanitized? tap water?

i prefer to triple rinse after cleaning, and then sanitize with k-meta before bottling since i don't mind a few drops being in the bottle.

I don't use One Step No Rinse Cleaner, which yes, also sanitizes, but I do use a true sanitizer - StarSan, which also says it doesn't need rinsing.

I always rinse after using StarSan. Clean, pure tap water is considered sanitary already. Not sterile, but sanitary.

Here's why I rinse. I look at things from extremes - since it doesn't need rinsed, it is safe and OK in the wine. OK, if that's the case I should be able to get by with topping off with it, right? After all, it won't hurt the wine.

Or maybe I could use it instead of water to bring a condensed bag of kit must up to the 6 gallon level.

When does using a little start to accumulate and become too much?

For topping off? One might say, well that's an awful lot; an extreme. If a little bit in my wine won't hurt, why wouldn't a lot also be OK. My point is if a lot of it would ruin my wine, even a little, used over several racking and such, could add up and have an adverse taste affect.

As I said, extreme. But the logic behind this works for me.

I still do what Sister Mary-Ellen taught me in high school chemistry class... Always rinse 3 times!

Being smacked by a ruler sure does bring a point home!

Latest posts

Back