Kmeta reacting with stainless steel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
I added some kmeta to my 304 stainless steel tank before I added the must. however, I got distracted and didn't add the wine. the next day my tank was discolored and smelled bad. I scrubbed and rinsed it out, but still has some black and yellow stains.

I'll. try to clean it more but if I use this tank will it affect my wine?

I added some kmeta to my 304 stainless steel tank before I added the must. however, I got distracted and didn't add the wine. the next day my tank was discolored and smelled bad. I scrubbed and rinsed it out, but still has some black and yellow stains.

I'll. try to clean it more but if I use this tank will it affect my wine?
When I worked in manufacturing, one of my favorite sayings was "stainless steel isn't." There should be some chemists on the site who may be able to offer a way to neutralize the tank. Sorry, I can't. I took two Chem courses in college, got my "gentleman B's" and never looked back.

I can't say for sure that it will or will not affect your wine, but, personally, I would not chance it.

When I worked in manufacturing, one of my favorite sayings was "stainless steel isn't." There should be some chemists on the site who may be able to offer a way to neutralize the tank. Sorry, I can't. I took two Chem courses in college, got my "gentleman B's" and never looked back.

I can't say for sure that it will or will not affect your wine, but, personally, I would not chance it.
Use Idophor for sanitizing stainless steel (https://www.amazon.com/National-Che...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863993075987&psc=1)

Thanks guys, I took. out my belt Sander buffed out the stains, and added boiling. water.
that idaphor looks great, I'll try to get some

Back