New PH Meter Just Arrived

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as using them for fruit, you really dont use the, for telling when to pick fruit, you would use a refractomter to determine the sugar to tell if its ripe. You use the ph meter to adjust it into range once its been picked. For grape picking Im sure they might use this also as the sugars may come into range sooner and they may possibly push the time back some waiting for PH and TA numbers to get into abtter range but this Im not sure of too much.

This is based on the TA test kit, which finevinewines sales -
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6856
Add drops of 0.1N NaOH drop by drop (with the included plastic syringe) until the pH meter reads 8.2

Calculate how much NaOH you added and multiply by 1.6

Ex 3.5ml X 1.6 = 5.6 g/l TA

Very simple and very accurate, NO color endpoint detection require.

How many ml of wine do you start with ????

I love this time of the year, it's when I go shopping for others and buy for myself. Makes the family mad when I do.

Anyway just got my ph meter. Same as the rest of you the Hanna Phep. Forgot to get the storage solution so I'll have to head back to the store, thought they would have mentioned that when they sold it to me. I did get the calibrating solutions.

Can I store the cal. solutions in a glass jar and how long will it last? Is there an alternative solution I can use for storing?

I think when I get time I'll enlarge the directions, kinda hard for some of us.

I love this time of the year, it's when I go shopping for others and buy for myself. Makes the family mad when I do.

Anyway just got my ph meter. Same as the rest of you the Hanna Phep. QUOTE]

I hear you there. I had mine sitting on the wish list with George and finally my wife said just go ahead and order it. I did get all of the solutions also. Funny thing I was at a wine party last night with numerous wine makers and Kevin and they were all talking about how they all pick out there gifts and it pi**es off the family. Boy was I glad my wife heard that and now she knows I'm not the only one that does that.

You can store the PH meter in the 4.00 solution Those words are right from hanna themselves.

Basically, I fill the cap up about 1/4 of the way and just a little tiny bit squirts out when I put the meter in.

I didn't know you could just fill that little cap. I assume you just make sure it is stored standing up?

I am so happy with the ph meter. Finally I know if my wines are in a good range or not. Guess I've always been lucky. Now I know for sure. Thanks to all who posted about theirs in the past.

Calibration was easy. I'll use it again next week but it's resting in some 4.01 solution now. Thanks again. Man I love Christmas.

Can the solutions be stored in another container after opened? I receive this from my son as the kit and would hate to have to throw away solution unless it is a use once type of deal. Maybe Steve will invite me over tomorrow an show me how to claibrate and measure evertything...

Latest posts

Back