New PH Meter Just Arrived

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robie

Reaction score
I broke down and got a nice temperature compensating PH meter from The Wine Makers Toy store. Nothing like a new toy!!!

Its better than anything else I have used before.
It's a little over $100, but will last a long, long time, if I take care of it. Electrodes are replaceable, so you don't have to buy a new one when the electrodes go bad, which they will.

You really need one for fresh or frozen grapes. It's not really necessary for kits, as the kits come all adjusted already.
It also makes the Total Acid test much easier, especially when testing red grapes/wines.

I've never seen one in the wine-brewing trade Robie, but I used to own one for my fish-keeping to test the pH of the tank water. It corroded pretty fast if I remember correctly, but at least yours has replaceable electrodes.

Did you get the Hanna PHEP? Thats the one I got and love it!!!!!! It also tells you what % your battery is at right when it starts up as when they get worn down the results will start getting skewed. Aqua,did you keep it stored in the proper solution and also clean it with the proper cleaner?

Did you get the Hanna PHEP? Thats the one I got and love it!!!!!! It also tells you what % your battery is at right when it starts up as when they get worn down the results will start getting skewed. Aqua,did you keep it stored in the proper solution and also clean it with the proper cleaner?

Yep, PHEP. Love it! I bought the kit, so it came with cal solutions and cleaners

Thats what I got also. I had to run out Sunday and get Sodium Hydroxide though for the acid testing though as I forgot that and didnt trust then solution that was in my acid test kit as it was old but tested against it and came out the same slo ill use that up first. I also use the acid test kit sultion to dble check with the color change.

Thats what I got also. I had to run out Sunday and get Sodium Hydroxide though for the acid testing though as I forgot that and didnt trust then solution that was in my acid test kit as it was old but tested against it and came out the same slo ill use that up first. I also use the acid test kit sultion to dble check with the color change.

What all can you check with one of these meters? I was actually looking on finevinewines today at these and considered getting one for next payday or soon after. What does everyone reccommend? I have never seen one used or even seen one. What is entailed in maintenance of said piece of equipment?

What all can you check with one of these meters? I was actually looking on finevinewines today at these and considered getting one for next payday or soon after. What does everyone reccommend? I have never seen one used or even seen one. What is entailed in maintenance of said piece of equipment?

I bought the PHEP5 from finevinewines. You can certainly check PH of beers, fresh/frozen grapes and wine, that's all I bought it for. If you buy it from George, but the kit and not just the meter. Also, order a bottle of the storage solution, which didn't come with the kit. I didn't order any when I bought the kit.

For maintenance, you need to clean and calibrate it regularly. Wade can tell us how to use the storage solution, as I don't know how to use the storage solution, either.

You check the PH of the wine and the TA of the wine. These are the two mani factors in a wine beng stable in your cellar for longer periods and for a good fermentation. If your wine has a high Ph then your wine isvery flat and very susceptible to bacteria even with higher S0 PPM. If its got a low ph then your wine will be very acidic making it very hard for your yeast to do its thing and taste harsh. I recommend the ATC (Auto Temp compensation) and one that has replaceable probes as this is the only part that will really go bad on one of these besides batteries. The battery meter on these is a real good option also cause like I said in an above post, bad batteries will throw your #'s off and this Hanna PHEP will tell you when to chaange the batteries and is also waterproof so you dont have to worry about getting it wet as you have to use these inyour must or sample to get then readings and one slip with some others and you mind as well throw it out. There are many grate ones out there and many bad ones. i just bought thios one a little while ago on recommendation of
George at FineVineWines and he seels much more expensive testing and a few cheaper. As far as maintence goes you just need to clean it after use by soaking quick in a special solution and store it with another solution. Thios Hanna model has a cap in which you can protect the meters probe with the solution stored in it all together.
PHmeter.jpg

ffemt128,
I forgot to mention, as you saw from Wade's post, it can be very helpful when measuring total acid of red wines. It eliminates having to try to spot the color change, which is difficult with red wines.

Wade must be a faster typist than me!!! Beat me again.

Wade, after fermentation and stabilization are completed on a kit wine, do you ever try to adjust TA and PH? Have you ever just checked them at that point for curiosity's sake? I never have, but I have always wondered if they always come out correct, as the kit manufacturers claim.

How much solution do you end up using over time? Does it make sense to buy the bottles instead of the little packets, or does the solution quality deteriorate to quickly?

Question, could you or would you use these for picking something like blueberries. I don't know if the sugar fluctuates like it does in grapes but maybe to tell when they are at there peak?

I think I'll have to put this on my wish list. If I don't get it for myself mybe Santa will bring it...

is this the kit you are referring to? Looks like it might be.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=HI98128A
FFemt128,
That is the one. As I mentioned already, tell Santa to get you a bottle of the storage solution to go along with the kit. For now I'll just use the 4.01 buffer for storage, like Wade mentioned.

Bodf and Runningwolf,
Wade is the guy who already knows this PH meter and who know much more than I about fruit wines. Let's let him answer these questions for all of us.

How do you measure TA with this meter, is there a conversion for pH to TA?
Or does it just measure the pH and by having the correct pH your TA is correct?

How do you measure TA with this meter, is there a conversion for pH to TA?
Or does it just measure the pH and by having the correct pH your TA is correct?

This is based on the TA test kit, which finevinewines sales -
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6856
Add drops of 0.1N NaOH drop by drop (with the included plastic syringe) until the pH meter reads 8.2

Calculate how much NaOH you added and multiply by 1.6

Ex 3.5ml X 1.6 = 5.6 g/l TA

Very simple and very accurate, NO color endpoint detection require.

Latest posts

Back