New guy equipment list

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
Been racking my brain, but am busy with other things. Its one of those months.

A buddy of mine wants to get into wine making. He will be doing only kits. I have a vacuum pump and a floor corker which he is going to borrow in exchange for wine.

For equipment I am recommending to him the following

Basic Kit
Auto Siphon
Carboy Hauler
Grad Cylinder for hydrometer measuring
and a Wine Whip for stirring

He will probably get a couple extra 6 gal carboys with airlocks bungs etc. as well.

Is there anything else I should recommend as a starter kit.

A lot will depend on what is included in the "Basic Kit". He will need bottles, corks, caps and labels at some future point.

1lb bag of k-meta!!! Id tell him to get the metal drill stirrers, they are well worth the few xtra bucks!!!

acid test kit. i tried for awhile without one now that i use one i can taste the difference.
maybe a sulfite test kit too if he has the money.
some glass marbles or some smaller jugs cause i know i had a ton of problems siphoning when i started... even with the auto siphon and i would come up short.
might as well get two hydrometers. cause they break real easy and nothing is worse than trying to wing it.

1lb bag of k-meta!!! Id tell him to get the metal drill stirrers, they are well worth the few xtra bucks!!!
Wade - do you use the drill stir stick before degassing with the vacuum pump?

acid test kit. i tried for awhile without one now that i use one i can taste the difference.
maybe a sulfite test kit too if he has the money.
some glass marbles or some smaller jugs cause i know i had a ton of problems siphoning when i started... even with the auto siphon and i would come up short.
might as well get two hydrometers. cause they break real easy and nothing is worse than trying to wing it.

Do you think an acid & an SO2 test kit are necessary for kit wines?

Wade - do you use the drill stir stick before degassing with the vacuum pump?

I use it to stir in the k-meta and sorbate. I also try to degas some with it before using the vacuum pump. I also splash rack with the vacuum pump which helps immensely with degassing.

Do you think an acid & an SO2 test kit are necessary for kit wines?

You will not need these for kit wines. They already come balanced.

Back