Need some quick advise please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstar26

Reaction score
Just finished backsweetening my first batch of Skeeter Pee and after racking off the sediment from clearing I am left a little short of being into the neck of the carboy. Is the space in the picture going to be too much air space? I do have a 19L carboy, do you recommend I transfer it into that and just bottle the last couple litres off? Here is a pick of the airspace! Thanks in advance!

IMG_0001-3.jpg

Yes you could do that and waiting till morning would be ok. Another thing you could do is just top off with another bottle of like wine if you have a spare bottle.

That is a bit too much space in my opinion. I would top it off or transfer. You can also add sanitized stuff to the carboy to take up the space. Marbles. stainless steel ball bearings etc. (all clean of course)Just be carefull if you add stuff to the wine that you put it in carefully so as not to break the glass. Looks good though!!

Thanks for the quick reply, will transfer to the 19L and bottle the balance right now, and hope it does not ferment again as I do not have a similar wine to top up with, this is my first batch of skeeter pee!

When making wine always try to make a little extra to account for the displacement caused by the sediment and various rackings.

You can hold off till morning if you are short on time tonight. Always try to fill the carboy to the knuckle.

WHOooaa, referment? You said you backsweetened. You did stabilize with k-meta and sorbate, right? If not do it asap before transfering. If you did then carry one with the racking.

Latest posts

Back