My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got the reference, at least as far as this old fart knows it. And I do class myself as old, since I saw Star Wars in the theater during its first run at the box office.

Gotchya. Thought it was something specific. Well- regardless, I respect your confident stance on sequential inoculation. Can’t argue with results. And I see how it can be viewed as comforting to not “rush it” and letting the wine naturally come into its own.
But if you ever did come to the dark side just know we DO have cookies. And we have complete chromatography tests. And also an ‘express lane’ for MLF.
Before my 1st time I researched he hell out of it. Tons of studies and none suggest co-inoc has any negative effects.
No longer viewed as risky, just a preference now. And just like you, I’ll continue with what’s worked for me. 7 for 7 with co-innoc and all went quick. (x4)VP-41 and (x3) Enoferm Alpha.

Yep. The first three are mine and show only minimal progress. Once again, a disappointment - thought the 3rd time would be a charm. Looks like maybe four will do it. After that, I think I'm done.

Am I reading this correctly, and you are going to inoculate for a 4th time?
I suppose i would too. And would just get enough bacteria this September for last year’s as well as the new stuff. Is that the plan? Think we need to get you your own MLF test kit for Christmas this year too.

Am I reading this correctly, and you are going to inoculate for a 4th time?
I suppose i would too. And would just get enough bacteria this September for last year’s as well as the new stuff. Is that the plan? Think we need to get you your own MLF test kit for Christmas this year too.
I don't mind testing his too since I'm usually working a batch the same time he is and there is plenty of room on those sheets. Hopefully I get my Cab that finished MLF racked and can give him some slurry from it. I believe last time he had some issues the slurry put him "over the top" and MLF completed. Next time he'll have to co-inoculate if he uses BM4x4, since it isn't post-ferment MLB friendly according to Lallmand's site.

Fermentation Speed
Moderate

MLF Compatibility
Not really recommended

Nitrogen Needs
High

Alcohol Tolerance
15 %

Volatile Acidity
Moderate

SO₂ Production
Moderate

Max. Temperature
28 °C

Min. Temperature
16 °C

H₂S 170ppm
Low

H₂S 60ppm
Moderate

Suitability for co-Inoculation
Very recommended

Acetaldehyde Production
High

@ceeaton and @jgmann67 after I co-inoculated my pinotage grapes with BM4x4 and vp41 I read about BM4x4 not be the best choice for MLF. I worried but both finished without issue. Did chroma and MLF was complete. Taste is good.

Was going with a similar formula in my australian buckets, but now I'm second guessing the BM4x4.

@ceeaton and @jgmann67 after I co-inoculated my pinotage grapes with BM4x4 and vp41 I read about BM4x4 not be the best choice for MLF. I worried but both finished without issue. Did chroma and MLF was complete. Taste is good.

Was going with a similar formula in my australian buckets, but now I'm second guessing the BM4x4.

I think you’re fine to coinoculate. It’s only when you do side by side that you may have difficulties. Honestly, I could just be doing something wrong that causes me to run into successive MLF fails.

I didn’t see that part in the BM4X4 directions when I selected my yeast though.

I've used BM4X4 both ways and only had an issue once. That was on a 2016 Chilean and all 4 of the wines I did that spring were unsuccessful with MLF. Only one of them was BM4X4.

Spent a week in Georgia, and stopped off on my way home last night to pick up a beer bottle of MLB sludge from Craig. Added some to each of the three amigos and gave them a good stir. Plenty of nutrient already there. So, now I gotta pack for a work trip to Kentucky. I hope to come home to something active.

Last edited:
Did anyone make a 2017 White Zin from Harford? I made 2 separate batches, one I threw out and the other has a funny off taste that I'm not sure what it is.
I just racked mine over the weekend. Smelled pretty good, much lighter in body than the 2016 White zin bucket (which I think they had mislabeled, might have been a Pinot Noir bucket). The color had an orange tinge to it, which worried me, but a sample didn't give me a headache immediately (which most oxidized wines do). I backsweetened it to 1.003 for now and plan on taking a sample for the wifey to test this weekend, since it's her wine to drink/give away. Nothing spectacular, but when is a white zin put into that category?

I just racked mine over the weekend. Smelled pretty good, much lighter in body than the 2016 White zin bucket (which I think they had mislabeled, might have been a Pinot Noir bucket). The color had an orange tinge to it, which worried me, but a sample didn't give me a headache immediately (which most oxidized wines do). I backsweetened it to 1.003 for now and plan on taking a sample for the wifey to test this weekend, since it's her wine to drink/give away. Nothing spectacular, but when is a white zin put into that category?

Maybe that's it. Mine was also made for my wife and friends who prefer that type of wine. Someone in another thread said you have to try to appreciate the wine for what it is. I guess I may not be very good at that yet.

Back