My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess MLF proceeds at it's own pace. It appeared they all shown signs of starting when I innoculated. The Norton finished in 2 weeks @cmason1957 I'm going to let it go another 2 weeks as you recommended. The Zin is just now showing decent activity, the Syrah seems to be trying but the Barbara doesn't seem to want to do anything. All sulfite levels are below 20 and the ph is 3.3-3.5. I added twice the amount of Opti Malo and 1.5 times the bacteria. The chromotography indicates the same activity.

Inoculated after pressing and only 17 days ago correct? I’d be half tempted to leave em all be (even the Norton) and not test again till after the new year.
So In the words of the great Axl Rose, “what’s so civil about war anyway?” ....wait no. “All we need is just a little patience”. That’s the one!

Inoculated after pressing and only 17 days ago correct? I’d be half tempted to leave em all be (even the Norton) and not test again till after the new year.
So In the words of the great Axl Rose, “what’s so civil about war anyway?” ....wait no. “All we need is just a little patience”. That’s the one!

The last batch was the Norton. I waited until I pressed it to innoculate everything at once. The Syrah was from the spring. I used the White Labs bacteria for it and it never worked so I sulfited. It took until now for the sulfite levels to get down to the mid 20's. The Zin is a bucket and one lug, the Barbera is just juiceif that helps. I'm in no hurry and will just keep monitoring and stirring.

The last batch was the Norton. I waited until I pressed it to innoculate everything at once. The Syrah was from the spring. I used the White Labs bacteria for it and it never worked so I sulfited. It took until now for the sulfite levels to get down to the mid 20's. The Zin is a bucket and one lug, the Barbera is just juiceif that helps. I'm in no hurry and will just keep monitoring and stirring.

Just making clear you werent co-inoculating, which finish quicker. And probably explains why the Norton went so quick in comparison.
I know it’s been discussed a lot recently, but just another friendly heads up on the chroma tests. I had some strips and did direct comparisons. The chroma showed 100% completion on 2 wines while the strips showed <30g/mL and >100g/mL on the other. Cmason1957 always lends good MLF advice to wait it out.

Checking in on my three grape extravaganza -

PV is beautiful. Dark, lots of flavor and nose (the sour nose has faded - think it should be called "that new wine smell"). Sitting on blended medium + oak cubes for three months and will get another racking.

The Merlot MLF appears to be done. I get singular bubbles at an infrequent pace. Testing will show where it is. But, I think it's due for a racking anytime.

The twin Cabs are still going, though they have slowed considerably.

Life has been crazy at home and especially at work. Winemaking is really the perfect hobby for people like me. Every now and again, I can go putter around my wine room for a little sanity check. Then, go back upstairs and get back into the race.

I wish I had a video of the night I came home to check the wines and they exploded all over the place. Not funny while it was happening. But, I was laughing at myself during the clean up. Lesson learned.

That reminds me, I have a wine-stained ceiling tile that needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
12-4-17_chromo.jpg View attachment 45133
That’s kinda surprising and disappointing... thought it would be further along. Ahh well. Guess we go another 2-3 weeks and try again.
Okay, here's round two. I think still a little disappointing. The Merlot is a little better than the Cab, but it looks that way in the previous test (November 12th?).

That doesn't look very different from the last one you posted. Are you seeing any evidence that MLF has even started, like little bubbles around the neck of the carboy? I have heard some folks say Merlot can just be hard to get started for no particular reason.
I will defer to @jgmann67 since it is his wine. I'm just the tester (and usually a taster when I visit him for samples)!

That doesn't look very different from the last one you posted. Are you seeing any evidence that MLF has even started, like little bubbles around the neck of the carboy? I have heard some folks say Merlot can just be hard to get started for no particular reason.

As far as this thread goes he said they did show activity. Remember the “Tiny bubbles” song and Tom petty convo?!
I did a Side by side just because. Looks identical to me. Unfortunately. Maybe another month to text and reassess? It would seem that Tom petty is again right.
Or possibly the tester for higher is at fault. That ugly football game last night may have put him on tilt :)
View attachment 45135

Both were showing activity. Now the Merlot is not showing any real activity, while the two cabs seem to be chugging along.

I hate the idea of dosing these again. If anyone’s got another idea, I’m all ears.

Id think to wait for a 2nd test to confirm what is suspected in a month. Since there is activity seen. Until then I would just continue as you’ve been making sure temps around 75°. And maybe hang that “Best of Show” medal right in front of em. Give em some inspiration!
(Congrats on that btw)

Id think to wait for a 2nd test to confirm what is suspected in a month. Since there is activity seen. Until then I would just continue as you’ve been making sure temps around 75°. And maybe hang that “Best of Show” medal right in front of em. Give em some inspiration!
(Congrats on that btw)

It'll be the third test. But, I'll need to see if Mrs Mann is okay with me bringing them upstairs.

It'll be the third test. But, I'll need to see if Mrs Mann is okay with me bringing them upstairs.

I don’t think I could ever make any decision based on just that—one test to test timeframe without progress. Would want to confirm it with a 2nd test to test interval. With another 1/2 dose of opti malo.
No clue if 70° to75° makes any difference. Room temp has worked for me so far. I just know to make sure it’s not too cold.
I THINK the lees itself isn’t beneficial. Only stirring to bring up any potential buried malo or nutrients. I also read oak cubes or spirals help the bacteria. To have something to latch onto and not become buried. —- please note I’m still pretty new to this myself, learning as I go.

All fair. I don’t think I have any opti-Malo in stock rock now. The wine is on oak, too. So, I got that going for me. Maybe a find a way to feed the wine and give it another few weeks before testing again.
I thought you had a "brew belt" at one point? I'd wrap that baby around your carboy and run it for a few hours in the evening, and maybe stir a time or two more a week. We'll test again in early January. I'll be down that way on the 1st when I have to take my Son back to BWI for his flight back to the metropolis of Wichita Falls, assuming you aren't in California, or Vegas, or the Bahamas, or Bermuda, or Italy somewhere else fun.

I thought you had a "brew belt" at one point? I'd wrap that baby around your carboy and run it for a few hours in the evening, and maybe stir a time or two more a week. We'll test again in early January. I'll be down that way on the 1st when I have to take my Son back to BWI for his flight back to the metropolis of Wichita Falls, assuming you aren't in California, or Vegas, or the Bahamas, or Bermuda, or Italy somewhere else fun.

The brew belt was a loss a year ago, unfortunately. And, I think I’ll be at my winter retreat... in Etters, PA.

I have to say that there are a number of things that can seem like MLF activity. Heck, it couls always be the wine degassing on it's own. By the results of the test, it does not seem that MLF is happening at all.

Not sure if you posted this already, but what is the current temp, SO2 level, ABV, and PH? Have you checked if any of these exceed the limit of the MLB??

I have to say that there are a number of things that can seem like MLF activity. Heck, it couls always be the wine degassing on it's own. By the results of the test, it does not seem that MLF is happening at all.

Not sure if you posted this already, but what is the current temp, SO2 level, ABV, and PH? Have you checked if any of these exceed the limit of the MLB??
Yea, I think I've sort of figured out a common denominator with Harford Grapes, they come wrapped in SO2 pads and I wonder if we aren't having issues with a higher level of SO2 than we think. I don't have a way to test it accurately yet, but in the future when I do, I'll make sure that I test for it. I haven't had any issues but I don't add any SO2 to grapes before MLF that I get from Harford. I know others who get their grapes from there (Jim and Jim in particular) have had issues with past batches.

When I was having difficulty with the PS from last year (dosed twice with White Labs MLB), Craig was good enough to bring over some wine sludge from his to drop into the carboy and it finished without issue.

The wine temps are around 68* and the pH is just fine. I don't have a way to test SO2 levels. But the wines went through AF with no issue and finished around 14.4% ABV. I think the BM4x4 may have something to do with it.

I used VP41 this time.

If someone has some MLB sludge, I'll take it! Otherwise, I'm going to try to get the wines warmer and add some nutrient. Suggestions are always appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back