My dog died

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeri, I am sorry for your loss. At my age I have lost several canine best friends over the years. It's never easy losing such a source of unconditional love. May you heal quickly. Gary

You guys.....thank you so much for your condolences and sharing your own stories.
It means so much that you would take the time to tell me your own stories.

These last few days have been so exhausting.
It's incredible how much energy grief eats up.
We made ourselves stay busy the last few days and managed to can some radish, onions, jalapenos and pickles.
Neither of us has been able to go outside and gather up his toys...his old cow thigh bone that he's been gnawing on for the last 3 months...I can't imagine gathering it all up and throwing it out. Like it's worthless junk and doesn't mean anything.

I am on vacation this week, so I have the luxury of grieving at home and alone.

I feel just awful for David. He broke down this morning before leaving for work and then again when he came home for lunch.
I wish he would have just called in. It's not pride exactly that stops him but ...I don't know. I guess it's a man thing.
I called my boss right after I found Gir and I had no shame at all sobbing on the phone and telling her I wasn't coming to work...even though it was my last work day before vacation. She knows how much my dog meant to me. David had Gir before I met him. I came into their lives and he became my dog quickly. David used to laugh about how much I babied him and how he would run to me and sit on my foot when he was in trouble with him. We used to laugh and say that if we ever broke up, the only thing we would fight over was who was taking the dog. God, I'm sobbing as I type this. I miss that damn dog so much.

We have discussed getting another dog and we know that one day we will.
Just....not now.
It will be awhile I think before either of us are ready.

You will be ready when your ready. It took us about 2 months to be ready again and then a year later we "doubled down" and got another "just in case" Golden Retriever. The silence when I came home was deafening without him. No big goofy grin or wagging tail to greet me when I came home. Can't live without that ever again!

I know what you're saying when you say it must be a man thing when David wouldn't call in work. Truth be told- it's a death in your family and should be treated as one. Vern took a few days off but not enough. I mourned forever. It does get easier, never gone ,but easier. Neither of you should ever feel embarrassed to take time for grieving.. As I mentioned earlier,mine died 2 years ago. He was 16 years and was one of the biggest parts of my life. I still can't get another, but that's a personal thing.Pics, memories and talking about him will help. Thoughts are with you on your loss Jeri

I just feel really bad for you,Jeri. The only thing that ever helped me get over the sadness was time--and another dog to share your life with. Don't get rid of his toys. I have toys from several dogs that passed,even quite some time ago. The new dogs love the toys just like the original owner of them did.

As I'm typing this, my new little dog who was so sad is next to me with her front feet on my leg and licking my face!! She's not sad any more. She's turning into a cute little thing that seems very happy with her new life. She's still very afraid of strangers, but we're working on that. There's a new buddy out there for YOU too. A house is not a home without an animal buddy.

Latest posts

Back