My dog died

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
My dog died yesterday.

I woke up and went outside to feed the chickens.
I saw him laying in front of the garage and started singing to him, like I do every morning.
It's a ritual with us. I sing to him, he thumps his tail on the ground a few times, then he gets up and comes over to talk to me.
I was singing to him and didn't see any movement out of the corner of my eye.
I looked over at him and knew he was dead. There is a stillness that just cannot be faked or misunderstood. I still was calling his name as I walked through the garden and out the gate towards him.
His eyes were open and he was still slightly warm.
I tried to compose myself as I went into the house to tell Manthing.
The moment I saw him, I burst into tears again and told him that I had just found our good boy dead.

It was awful.
We rent, so burying him here isn't a good idea.
I called his dad and asked if we could bury him on their land.
We loaded him up and drove out there.

His parents met us in the driveway.
They always called him their granddog, since neither of us have ever wanted children. There was so much sobbing between the four of us.
I couldn't let either of them touch me. I knew if they hugged me I would completely break down and be unable to help with burying him.
It was such a hard day yesterday.

I think today was even worse.

I woke up this morning, and then remembered he died. I spent the first 15 minutes of my day in bed sobbing.
I finally got up and went outside to feed and water my chickens.
While I was in their run, I started singing to him, then remembered he was gone.
I think I've forgotten and remembered at least a dozen times today and each one is a punch in the stomach.
We both were looking for him at the gate when we got back from grocery shopping, when we fired up the propane grill, when we were going through the garden gate.

I know it gets easier.
I know we aren't the first ones to ever go through this.
I just hate how much it hurts.

RIP Gir. You were such a good boy.

puppy gir.jpg

gir.JPG

Jericurl
I feel very sorry for your loss - but I am glad you shared with us ! Your story makes me feel part of it - as we have all lost loved ones.

Jeri I am so sorry for your loss. Having lost mine 2 years ago , reading your post brought fresh tears to my eyes.

Until one has loved an animal,
 a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.

Dear Jericurl,
I am sorry over the passing of your dog , your devoted and loving friend. I cam across this poem which I hope helps to ease your grief and sorrow .
If you wish, I will be glad to send you the link where more poems such as these are printed

I bid you peace
Coronth

"I know that you must miss me,
By the tears rolling down your face.
But believe me when I tell you that,
I'm in a very good place.

There are meadows here to run in,
And plenty of rabbits to chase.
There are other dogs to play with,
To frolick with and race.

So please don't worry about me,
My spirit feels light as can be.
There's no more pain to plague me,
I'm young again and free.

And I'll be watching over you still,
of that you can be sure.
I'm your canine guardian angel,
And my love for you remains pure."

Jericurl, I am so sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing.

So sorry about this, Jericurl. You will never stop missing him, but it will get easier.

Jeri,

I know how you feel, I had to put Tango down about 2 years ago. She was suffering and they had to put her down. I stood there and watched the life go out of her after they gave her the shot. Found it hard to keep it together for a number of days after.

Take my advice and get another dog as soon as possible. I am not suggesting that you can replace your loved one, but I am saying that a new dog will help plug that hole in your heart.

So sorry for your loss.

johnT.

Thhis is what is on Lord Byron's dogs head stone which is bigger than his.

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Jeri, you have my sympathy for your loss. We lost our Gina about a month and a half ago and I can still see her lying on the lawn and watching me as I mow. I don't know what it is about these wonderful animals that makes them such an integral part of our lives, whether it is the unyielding devotion or the trust that they have in us. Our little Louie still walks around the house looking for Gina. He is so sad and cannot understand what happened to her. We would like to get another dog but are hesitant at our ages. Were I your age, I would not hesitate. Be strong and cherish the memories of your dear friend.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your buddy. I had to put down my older dog in March. She had an insulinoma---an insulin producing pancreatic tumor. I kept her for 1 1/2 years after the diagnosis, but finally she stopped eating and I knew it was time. It's always hard losing a friend--whether on 2 legs or 4 legs. I sure feel your pain, especially if it was unexpected because that seems even harder still.

My younger dog moped around the house for days afterward and acted like she was lost. So I knew I had to find her a buddy. I found this sad little dog at the APL who was terrified of people. She just laid in the cage with her body plastered right up to the back wall. She was taken out of a hoarding situation with 100 other dogs, and I just knew that no one would want her because she didn't want to relate to anyone when you came up to the cage. Who wants a dog like that? And she had already been at the APL for 2 months. Well, I'm real good at working with shy and frightened animals, so I just had to take her so that she could have some kind of life. My dog just loves her--and SHE loves my dog more than words can say. The first night she was here, she climbed up on top of my dog and slept on her!!

You can tell she was slapped around---but she's coming along just great,now. I have 6 acres here with an invisible fence so she can run and play and have fun while staying safe. So you lose your heart when one dog dies but you gain it back when you help another dog who needs you.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, this is one of the sad things we have to face as we outlive so many furry friends.

Oh man, I hate it when that happens Jeri. I've had to bury way too many of my best friends over the years and your post broke my heart all over again. It's a shame that our best friends can only be with us for a decade or two and then move on without a word. But, the good memories and fun times and companionship will stay with you and in time you will smile rather than cry. I know it's hard to believe that now.

Jeri,

I was in your footsteps just about 14 months ago. I am so very sorry for your loss. It sucks. You sob, try and move on a bit, cry some more, try and move on a bit...... You can never really replace them but as others have said another 4 legged friend will help your heart heal. Time helps as well.

Peace.

Jeri, I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our 12 1/2 year old greyhound June 6. I still miss him and he can never be replaced.

You have probably seen this story but it is always comforting to me whenever I read it again. I hope this helps.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....*

Author unknown...

What an absolutely beautiful animal! I know you must miss him a lot. My condolences, my dear.

My wife (and myself, of course) absolutely loves her Jet---our big Black American Lab. He is her constant boon companion. She will often tear up while giving him a big warm hug, look at me and say, "He can never die!" I always reply with, "He will."

You will burry every pet except your last. But the unconditional love you get is well worth the loss...a hundred times over. Go get another one and you will love him/her just as much. You have the opportunity to give a wonderful life to several more pets before your gone from this Earth. Take advantage!

Reminds me of a joke (to lighten things up). A preacher man once told me how to understand unconditional love. "Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car for two days, and see who still loves you when you let them out."

:h

Latest posts

Back