WineXpert Mueller-Thurgau & White Zinfandel Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txlbbguy

Larry
Reaction score
I have just finished up three different Wine Experts Grand Cru International kits. I did the German Mueller-Thurgau, the White Zinfandel, and the South African Chenin Blanc. I have seen different suggestions on aging them. Are there benefits to bulk aging these kits over bottling and aging them in the bottle? I can do either, but was just wondering if anyone else had experience with these kits and had bulk aged as opposed to bottle aging?

my son went to Texas Tec...did you know him?? Just kidding... I'm a fan of bulk aging. If 2 months down the road you rack it to a clean car boy, taste test and it just isn't quite right, you may want to tweak it some...adding tannin, a vanilla bean, or other such enhancement. If you have bottled there is no more tweaking. Also how do you know it is ready? Say in 6 months you open a bottle thinking it is ready, and it is not...now you have a so-so bottle of wine to drink! However I make primarily country fruit wines, and only a few kits so far. There are others who have been making wine a lot longer than me, but IMHO, just buy more car boys!

Thanks for the pointers! I hadn't really thought about the idea of tweaking it before you bottle. I guess since it was a high end kit i didn't think about any tweaking since the high end kits are supposed to be packaged to finish as it. Was really thinking about the bulk aging advantage as more of a time issue instead of a tweaking issue.

However, I do tweak the wine mist kits to increase the alcohol before I bottle, so it just makes sense that I may want to tweak a high end kit as well for a little more sweetness or body. Guess its time to go shopping for some more car boys!

taste tests are warranted before bottling. I would wait a least three months post fermentation and wines are clear before performing any taste tests. as these are white wines bulk aging will not provide any benefit as compared to a red wine. Some sweetening may be required. perform taste tests, adjustments if necessary and then bottle after three months.

That is good to know. I didn't realize that whites didn't benefit from longer bulk aging, but I guess that does make sense. I have two red kits I am about to start so I will just make plans to bulk age those for a year and then bottle....and whites just about 3 months to check for the level of sweetness that I like, then bottle to finish out aging for about a year as well.

That is good to know. I didn't realize that whites didn't benefit from longer bulk aging,

That depends on your definition of 'longer bulk aging'. I think whites do benefit greatly with 6-12 months on them. And that's kits. Juice buckets or grapes, I think 12-18 months. But then you're looking at maybe 2 years of good wine after that.

Thanks Jim. After seeing your reply and the others in this thread, I have done some more research on this for sure and have discovered that while opinions vary on the length, the consensus seems to be that even the whites can benefit greatly from at least 6 months of bulk aging.

As far as only two good years of wine after the aging, that shouldn't be a problem around here as its been a long time since I have had a finished wine that lasted anywhere near that length of time! I apparently have lots of very thirsty friends :ib

I would wait a least three months post fermentation and wines are clear before performing any taste tests. as these are white wines bulk aging will not provide any benefit as compared to a red wine. Some sweetening may be required. perform taste tests, adjustments if necessary and then bottle after three months.
:db

Well, I managed to wait a full year of bulk aging and very glad I did! All three of my wines were very good and have been really popular with my friends. The White Zinfandel was especially good and compares with any White Zin I have purchased. The German Mueller Thrugau was very smooth and is a big favorite of my friends who like the whites. Guess my lesson learned and my advice to those doing the German whites....patience is a virtue and well worth the wait!

Back