Mold on cloth above fermenter!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gary,

Nothing wrong with having your own opinion. I just don't understand what you really mean, but I am interested.

I just don't understand what CO2 being heavier than oxygen has to do with the yeasts' need for oxygen (O2) during the aerobic phase? Do you not believe that there is an aerobic phase and an anaerobic phase to fermentation by yeast?

Maybe what you are saying is there is already enough O2 in the must to sustain the yeast? I think the science of it has proven this is not the case.

The CO2 being heavier than O2 is why the oxygen is lifted off the surface of the must and partially forced/pushed out of the fermenter during heavy fermentation.

From my understanding of the process O2 is utilized only during colony growth phase and once alcohol/CO2 production has begun the colony has switched to an anaerobic process. IMO once you have an active fermentation going the CO2 being produced has displaced ( by being the heavier element) any O2 that may have been in contact with the must, which to my understanding is why folks who leave the primary's open or covered by a towel have no concerns with oxidation of the must. This belief on my part is also why I have no fear of locking the lid down with an airlock, both of our wine at this point are in contact with CO2, so IMHO lid, no lid at this point is moot.

Who knows maybe my misguided beliefs will bite me in the butt some day.

Latest posts

Back