Mlf question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
While racking my wine to a new carboy I I accidentally put in 1/4 tsp of k-meta before mlf was complete. Since I have racked, I have not seen any more bubbles and my airlock is stable with no gas escaping. Did I ruin my wine by stopping the mlf fermentation and is it possible to restart?ImageUploadedByWine Making1387421488.828587.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1387421488.828587.jpg

Normally you don't want to rack the wine until mlf is complete. You may not have killed the bacteria with the sulfite, but you have certainly stopped it from working. You can either 1)(try to lower the S02 level in your wine and warm it up a bit to see if it will get going again on it's own or 2) lower the S02 and add some more mlb to get it going again or 3) treat it with lysozyme to stop it permanently and finish the wine up as is.

I would taste the wine and see how it tastes as is. If it is still sharp, then try either option 1 or 2.

This is just my opinion and hopefully we get some others weigh in here.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I would like to get it going again if I could.

Latest posts

Back