Sur lie - a few seeds and skins crept in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keverman

Reaction score
I typically sur lie age my Marquette for about 4 months beginning the stirring process at the end of primary as MLF takes off, then tapering off the stir schedule to once a month when MLF is complete. Question: this year instead of trying to dump heavy buckets through a funnel with screen I used my all-in-one pump. Now that the wine is all in carboys I see a few seeds (maybe 4 or 5) and maybe one or two individual skins got through in each carboy. Is this okay for the next 4 months or do I need to re-rack? Thanks for any help!

Yes! Thank you. I found the thread here about the PVC drilled with holes then covered with mesh to put racking wand into as a way of straining what's being racked...but a day too late. Next year!

I typically sur lie age my Marquette for about 4 months beginning the stirring process at the end of primary as MLF takes off, then tapering off the stir schedule to once a month when MLF is complete. Question: this year instead of trying to dump heavy buckets through a funnel with screen I used my all-in-one pump. Now that the wine is all in carboys I see a few seeds (maybe 4 or 5) and maybe one or two individual skins got through in each carboy. Is this okay for the next 4 months or do I need to re-rack? Thanks for any help!
should be fine

Yes! Thank you. I found the thread here about the PVC drilled with holes then covered with mesh to put racking wand into as a way of straining what's being racked...but a day too late. Next year!
I assume you mean the jig I produced at very low cost and with almost no effort? 🤣

All jokes aside, that jig works wonders.

Back