Sur Lie and Bâttonage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found articles that address 2, 4, 5, & 6.

1 & 3 are the big questions. There is a lot of misinformation that I liken to legends, that predate the internet. Pre Internet, we learned from experienced winemakers or books, both of which were of varying accuracy.

With the net, there is so much information available, and enough of us are reading to eventually weed out the misinformation.

I was taught to get wine off the gross lees quickly, and have found "authoritative" references that state the gross lees begin to rot immediately.

Yet folks are doing EM up to 10 weeks with no ill effects. So ... someone is wrong. I'm going to believe the practical evidence.

But we still need to think. Is there a difference between a pressed wine setting on gross lees, and an unpressed wine setting on the pomace? I don't think so ... but am not confident enough to judge.
My FWK Pinot Noir and Bordeaux Blend are currently doing extended maceration on the gross lees under airlock in primary. Planning to let them go for around eight weeks, then stabilize and rack to a carboy. I'll taste at that point. It's a $200+/- experiment. I made myself a note to let you guys know how it goes. EM is my only variation from the instructions, so should be a good indication of whether this is perceivable to my nose and taste buds; my speculation is no, but we shall see.

That has all the indications of a bar joke....

It actually has all the indications of how obsessed I am with wine. I went to town for completely unrelated reasons, yet, I still ended up in a liquor store talking sur lie.

It was my mechanics birthday, so in addition to running errands, I picked up an ice cream cake and a bottle of his favorite rum..

The rum was just an excuse to get me in the right building to scratch my own itches. I feel I should be ashamed, but I'm not. Not even a little.

I went to the liquor store today and asked if they had any wines that were aged sur lie.

'Aged what, now?

My first thought.. I shoulda seen this coming.

'Aged on the lees or settled yeast to impart different flavors as it breaks down over the aging process'...

'I've never heard of that.'

I knew I had overstepped the knowledge base, but I have been watching videos leading from one place to another. I have watched wineries discussing it and upcoming wines with distinctive qualities they are very excited to share. I was starting to think it was a common thing. There should be a couple bottles among the hundreds that have been aged sur lie in the store, for sure. Maybe I can try two from the same winery and compare the difference...

The world in my head is much different than the one in small town Alberta.

It was a 5 minute conversation and another employee was called over. He mentioned customers wouldn't want to buy a wine with sediment in the bottle...

I gave them a quick education on sur lie aged wines and was told if I can find it they'll be happy to order it.

I was happy to tuck tail and run. 'Thanks so much, I will try google. Have a great day!

It was awkward and hilarious at the same time. How excited I was for this new experience, only to get looked at like I was speaking french.
I find good information on Wine Folly if you want to have more depth about a topic like sur lies so that you're armed for conversations at your next liquor store encounter: What Are Wine Lees? (Sur Lie Explained) | Wine Folly This article covers the method, history, the techniques, how long each varietal is aged on lees, and also gives you a four wines you can try that use the method.

They have oodles of information and also tasting kits, posters, and other merchandise.
https://winefolly.com/https://winefolly.com/wine-basics-beginners-guide/https://winefolly.com/grapes/

It's a $200+/- experiment.

Being experimenting over the past 20 years, I might have thrown an order of magnitude or two greater in cost.

Maybe I wasted my time and money..... I may have had fixed ideas.

From experience, the small experimenters often have better success and can be more helpful and provide more info then those that throw money at an issue. Money can at times be blind to small scale, innovative ideas. Sad but true. If you spend $20 K you may be unwilling to shift to another idea. Even if aware of the cost sunk fallacy. But if you only spent $200, you may be far more agile.

So I fully support your work. Small is actually, and often, better. Let us know how things work for you.

Hope this helps.

Is there a difference between a pressed wine setting on gross lees, and an unpressed wine setting on the pomace?

I cannot help but think, yes, there would be a difference. The two are very different and as such I cannot help but imagine they would each affect the final product in differing ways. It sure seems, from everything I read, small additions or removals can often have an affect on wine taste. The first rack post ferment is removing a massive quantity of solids (pomace) and wood chips. You would think that removing it has to have some affect on the final taste versus sitting on the in EM for however long.

However, I think the only way to know for sure is to run a side by side comparison of identical wines.

I think to believe that there is one right answer for every situation is completely misfounded. I'm finding that making wine is much like making BBQ. There are a lot of variations and they all impart different qualities and to varying degrees. Meat differences, cook temp variation, seasoning, wood type, smoke amount, type of smoker, prep times, prep style, final cool temps, basting while cooking, chamber humidity, etc. The possibilities are nearly endless. This is why there are BBQ competitions and also why I love BBQ. It's more about the journey and less about the destination. Once you reach the goal post, you're just looking for the next opportunity to start again.

Love it!

The way I think of it and admittedly, I might be soooo wrong, is that any fruit solids that is present in the juice bag (talking white wine kits here) have been there for a long time before the the kit maker starts the fermentation. Perhaps up to a year or more, so any thing that could be extracted, has been so. The gross lees post fermentation won't be a problem (if extraction would be the cause).
That leaves us with the fermentation period to be cause of any possible off flavors from the fruits parts, meaning that the yeast would have to act upon the fruit solids, directly or indirectly via some chemical reaction between the solids and fermentation products. I have no knowledge of this so I shouldn't be speculating but as @winemaker81 says "Yet folks are doing EM up to 10 weeks with no ill effects. So ... someone is wrong. I'm going to believe the practical evidence. " I'm in that camp to.

Anyway, I have to do a trail myself and divide a sav blanc kit into two 11.5 liters batches, one with and one without lees. In addition I will force carbonate 5 liter of each.

Makes sense to me.

Both of the premium kits I have in secondary have been aging sur lie for 6 weeks as per kit instructions. Do you suspect this is an attempt to add mouth feel and depth to the wine allowing an 8 week kit to display more robust aging qualities sooner. Or, is 6 weeks not enough time for lees to have any effect and the technique is just geared to offer the beginner the easiest methods for highest success?

Because I was making Skeeter Pee I saved the lees from both kits. I discussed continued sur lie aging the pinot grigio, but ruled it out because of the Kieselsol and Chitosan that was added on racking. Next week I am going to rack it to a 3 gallon carboy. Part of me wants to add a gallon back on the original lees with no chemicals added (assuming there are no detectable off flavors. It has been stored in the fridge with wine covering the surface) and sit it on a stir plate for a couple of months. Any thoughts?

I am new to wine makingvand this thread is very educational. I am going to use a 5 gallon wine kit from Williams Brewing and it says leave in the primary fermenter for 25 days then rack to secondary fermenter (carboy) top off and age it for three months. Is this a different version if sur lie without stirring? Is leaving the must in the 1st fermenter for 25 days to long? I am researching before fermenting. Thank you all!!

I am new to wine making and this thread is very educational. I am going to use a 5 gallon wine kit from Williams Brewing and it says leave in the primary fermenter for 25 days then rack to secondary fermenter (carboy) top off and age it for three months. Is this a different version if sur lie without stirring? Is leaving the must in the 1st fermenter for 25 days to long? I am researching before fermenting. Thank you all!!

I have used Williams kits before, but I do not follow their instructions. It's best to transfer to carboy when the Specific Gravity remains the same for three days straight. Typically, that means below 1.000 and this will occur in 10 to 20 days. Get yourself a hydrometer to check the S.G.

@Laserwine, kit instructions will state to leave in the fermenter for an extended period of time as there is no guarantee the budding winemaker has a hydrometer, so this helps ensure fermentation is complete. Kit instructions are optimized for beginners that have no experienced help, to ensure a successful result.

@Chuck E's advice is spot on.

This assumes the kit doesn't include a skin pack (dried grape skins for extra color & body). A process called Extended Maceration is often used when I skin pack is included, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Since we've been discussing lees, and how to identify them one way or another, I took a leap into the world of Google Scholar to see what the literature said. After about a half hour of "lees are what's left after fermentation" descriptions, I came across this:

Jara-Palacios MJ. Wine Lees as a Source of Antioxidant Compounds. Antioxidants. 2019; 8(2):45. Wine Lees as a Source of Antioxidant Compounds
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3921/8/2/45/htm

"According to literature and EEC regulation No. 337/79, wine lees can be defined as “a residue that is formed at the bottom of wine containers, after fermentation, during storage or after treatments, as well as the residue obtained after the filtration or centrifugation of this product” [8]. On the one hand, wine lees can be classified into three groups depending on the stage of vinification: first- and second-fermentation lees, which are formed during the alcoholic and malolactic fermentations, respectively, and aging wine lees formed during wine aging in wood barrels [9]. On the other hand, wine lees also can be classified depending on the particle size: heavy lees (between 100 μm and 2 mm, settling within 24 h) and light lees (<100 μm, between 1 and 24 μm, and in suspension at least 24 h after agitation) [10,11].

The main characteristics of wine lees are acidic pH (between 3 and 6), a chemical oxygen demand above 30,000 mg/L, potassium levels around 2500 mg/L, and phenolic compounds in amounts up to 1000 mg/L [12].

This winemaking byproduct is composed of solid and liquid fractions [13]. The solid fraction is a combination of yeasts, organic acids (mainly tartaric acid), insoluble carbohydrates (such as cellulosic or hemicellulosic materials), inorganic salts, lignin, proteins, phenolic compounds, and pulp and other parts of the grape. The liquid fraction is mainly composed of ethanol and organic acids, as lactic acid and acetic acid [2,10,13,14,15].

The composition of wine lees depends on environmental conditions, regions of origin and their agronomic characteristics, the grape variety, and the time of aging in the wood barrels [13,16]."

@David Violante Thanks for posting this article. It focuses primarily on finding other uses for wine lees because of the beneficial phenolics and other compounds in lees:

this byproduct can be an ideal raw material for obtaining phenolic compounds that could be of interest in the food and pharmaceutical industries

As it happens, yesterday I decanted some lees from cranberry-orange wine that I have had in the fridge for about 3 weeks to let the lees settle. The recovered wine went into a wine bottle for future topping off. I tasted the lees, and they had a very nice, strong cranberry flavor. Of course it was tart, but actually pretty good with a little added sugar. A bit yeasty of course, but not too strong. Considering all the health benefits of cranberries and the B vitamins in yeast cells, this might make a good health drink. Next step: hard cranberry smoothie!

@David Violante Thanks for posting this article. It focuses primarily on finding other uses for wine lees because of the beneficial phenolics and other compounds in lees:

As it happens, yesterday I decanted some lees from cranberry-orange wine that I have had in the fridge for about 3 weeks to let the lees settle. The recovered wine went into a wine bottle for future topping off. I tasted the lees, and they had a very nice, strong cranberry flavor. Of course it was tart, but actually pretty good with a little added sugar. A bit yeasty of course, but not too strong. Considering all the health benefits of cranberries and the B vitamins in yeast cells, this might make a good health drink. Next step: hard cranberry smoothie!

I found quite a lot of articles that use the lees in ice-cream. I think the best rate was at 40%. I'll have to find them and post them. There's a product called nutritional yeast that I believe does something similar. I'll have to look...

OK- here's just a few... looks like many of these folks were at home with wine making supplies and food the last couple years... hmmm... I wonder if we put one in the other...

Troilo M, Difonzo G, Paradiso VM, Summo C, Caponio F. Bioactive Compounds from Vine Shoots, Grape Stalks, and Wine Lees: Their Potential Use in Agro-Food Chains. Foods. 2021; 10(2):342. Bioactive Compounds from Vine Shoots, Grape Stalks, and Wine Lees: Their Potential Use in Agro-Food Chains

Sharma, A.K., Aglawe, M.K. Addition of Processed Fine Wine Lees of Cabernet Sauvignon to Improve Nutraceutical Properties of Yoghurt. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. B Biol. Sci. 92, 141–147 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40011-021-01326-y

Tsevdou, M., Aprea, E., Betta, E. et al. Rheological, Textural, Physicochemical and Sensory Profiling of a Novel Functional Ice Cream Enriched with Muscat de Hamburg (Vitis vinifera L.) Grape Pulp and Skins. Food Bioprocess Technol 12, 665–680 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-019-2237-3

On Nutritional Yeast:
Jach ME, Serefko A, Ziaja M, Kieliszek M. Yeast Protein as an Easily Accessible Food Source. Metabolites. 2022; 12(1):63. Yeast Protein as an Easily Accessible Food Source

Latest posts

Back