Megioli amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnDTurner

Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gents

I will be starting my megioli Amarone next week. I want to check with those that have made this kit. What are your thoughts taste, body etc? Was the body thin or did you tweak with additional raisins or bananas?

Great. I would think using that 4 kg (about 8.8 pounds) grape pack would be enough. I do recommend using a bag for the grape pack and squeezing it at least twice a day for better extraction. If you do this, remember to sanitize your hands first.

I did mine with the raisins. It is getting there but still needs more time. Most here say they (megiloli kits) need 2 years. Mine was in May is not ready yet.

ldmack3, I admre those of you who have the patience to wait two years or more on a wine. At my age I don't even by green bananas and I always eat my dessert first.

These are the 1st Megiloli Ive done. I've just read it takes 2 years and yes I'm down several bottles since May.:d

Done that one twice. First in 2010 with raisins. Added a hand full of dried cherries. Spent 6 weeks in almost new Vidal barrel. Added half teaspoon tan cor grand cru and six ounces of glycerin. Started in July of 10 and bottled May of 11. Took silver medal at pittsburgh last spring.
Second had grape pack I did not use the raisins. Did not clear so I did second clearing with Superclear. Added one fourth teaspoon of tan cor grand cru. Barrel age for three months. Added four ounces of glycerin and three ounces of simple syrup. Started in feb of 11 and bottled Sep of 11. Took silver at Indy at Purdue.

I guess for me the MMM Amarone is a good solid silver for the judges but it's a double gold for me. I have another on order for 2013. Mabye if I dont tweak it I'll get a gold somewhere.

Last edited:
1 year after bottling on each but we are really not drinking either one yet

Amarone..a taste treat

:mny JUST MY OPPION MIND YOU,BUT THIS STYLE WINE MADE IN VALOPOLICELLA IS MADE WITH SUN DRIED GRAPES(RAISINS),TONY'S WINE IS VERY GOOD i'VE HAD IT IN BOTH OF HIS FORMATS(I CAN UNDERSTAND HIM WINNING),WHEN i MAKE IT, IT IS USUALLY FROM FRESH JUICE ALTHOUGH A MADE A KIT VERSION AND LAYERED OAK AND IN THE SECONDARY ADDED THE RAISINS,THIS THEN ALLOWS A SECONDARY FERMENTATION WITH THE RAISINS TO HAPPEN AND EXTRACTS THE FLAVOR FROM THEM,THE KEY TO GOOD AMARONE IS GOOD OAKING AND MASERRATION BETWEEN THE WINE BASE AND THE RAISINS, REHYDRATED GRAPE PACKS MIGHT GIVE UP MORE SOLIDS TO THE WINE BUT( IMO)DON,T ADD MUCH MORE,WERE THE RAISINS GIVE BOTH THE FLAVOR ADDITIVE AND MORE MOUTH FEEL,TIME IN A BOTTLE IS THE BEST FRIEND TO ANY AMARONE,IT CAN HAVE AT LEAST 4TO 5 YEARS AND THEN IT REALLY CAN STAND ON ITS OWN.i DID A KIT VERSION ONCE AND WROTE ABOUT IT AS IT WAS BEING PROCESS IT WAS A (WE KIT) AND i ADJUSTED IT BY FIRST LAYERING WITH OAK CHIPS IN THE PRIMARY THEN POWDERED OAK(FOR TEXTURE)IN THE SECONDARY ALONG WITH,SUN MAID RAISINS(1LB. BOX) TO DO A SECONDARY EXTRACTION,THEN TIME,TIME ,TIME,WON A SECOND PLACE LAST YEAR IN HAMMONTON,3.5YEARS IN THE BOTTLE.:mnyAT THAT POINT...:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny:mny .

So joe, after fermentation is complete, you sorbate and kmeta. Then you add the raisins. If this is correct for how long before you remove raisins and did you have problems with re-fermentation? If you could list your steps I would be grateful.

I find that all my reds shine at two years after pitching the yeast no matter if aged in carboy or bottle. Some as early as eighteen months but for sure by two years.

Thanks for your kind comments Joe. You know I'm a fan of yours also. I know you have tried some very out of the box tricks with your wine but I imagine you add raisins during primary?

adding rasins

;)Because the wine already has a base the secondary is were I install the raisins,this then gives the base wine a time to ferment out and add more structure to the base ,by adding the raisins in the secondary this allows the best extraction of flavor and also adds to the body of the wine,and the abv is better balance with the acidity of the tannins,at least in theroy and practice ,but that's just my way,sometimes the long way around ,but thats just me.;)

;) I also fine that box wine and fresh juice wines also have differences in long term aging,not always good for us cellar dwellers,I really don't have 5 years to wait to taste a wines full potencial or not,to old for that lost time you know what I mean,at any rate,always good to talk to you (from the right side of Texas);)

Joe,

Does this cause refermentation? Or do you transfer to secondary at a specific S.G. I would really like to try this technique. Just trying to wrap my mind around it.

Shawn, I am interested in Joe's answer too because I have never tried this but it seems very logical. I would guess that Joe moves to secondary at about SG 1.020, adds the raisins and sees an uptick in the SG to maybe 1.025-1.030 and fermentation continues rather than restarts.

Restart

:dgONCE YOU GO FROM PRIMARY T O SECONDARY THERE IS ALWAYS A LITTLE FERMENTATION STILL AVAILABLE TO HAPPEN . THE ALCOHOL THAT IS NOW PRESENT WILL START TO REACT TO THE PRESENTS OF THE RAISINS AND START TO EXTRACT THE ESSENCE AND INTER- START TO DE SOLVE THE RAISIN AND WITH THE SUGARS AGAIN PRESENT STARTS A FERMENTATION OF THERE OWN LOW FOAMING BUT QUITE THERE,THIS FERMENTATION IS WHAT GIVES THE WINE ITS DEEP FLAVOR AND THE ABV. THAT IS EXPECTED FROM THE FINISH AMARONE.:dg

:dg THINK ABOUT IT,WHEN YOU ADD THE GRAPE PACK,WHAT YOU SHOULD GET FROM IT IS SOLIDS AND COLOR,THERE SHOULD BE VERY LITTLE FLAVOR ENHANCEMENT,FOR THAT HAS ALREADY BE EXTRACT FROM WERE IT CAME FROM,BUT WHEN YOU ADD THE RAISINS AFTER, NOW YOU ADD BODY AND FLAVOR TO THE MIX AGAIN AND THERE FOR, ADD STRUCTURE AND BODY TO THE WINE,AT LEAST THAT'S MY TAKE ON IT,.THIS IS THE PROCESS FOR MAKING AMARONE ,REMEMBER WHEN THEY (IN ITALY) MAKE THIS WINE IT IS WITH THE GRAPES(DRIED) THAT THE JUICE IS COMING FROM WE DON'T HAVE THAT PLUS,WE ADJUST.:dg

Joe.. Thank you for being patient. How long do you leave the raisin in to complete the extraction? I would assume until dry

Secondary fermentation

:u Usually, once I see the fermentation start and that will come in the form of very small bubbles I let it go for at least two weeks . By then it should settle out if it takes a little longer , then let it but it will stop . racket again and let it settle out, what I do is allowed , it too settle out for at least two months at the end of that. I racket again . Then wait for another month, I remember I am doing this with fresh juice if you are using a kit . The same technique would apply because the raisins were dealing with at this point . I do not know about you but I allow my kits to sit at least a year,. With both the fresh juice and the kits I would apply the usual suspects and bottle. You should do a little tasting along the way why you are doing this and see the difference ,as far as putting glycerin , there are grades just for our purposes , a little goes a long way 10 ounces to 6 gallons . However do not use it. If you do not have to time is our ally always keep it on your side . :uE

Back