Making 5gal Instead of 6?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannew

Reaction score
I've read on some threads where people say they make only 5 gal instead of 6 gal. I assume they are adding 1 gal less water initially.

Is this a recommended practice and if so would you add more of a similar wine to top off at the later stage?

The less water you use, the less diluted the product. Always better to top off with wine.

Always top off with a similar wine or rack to smaller carboys.

I try to start with 6 gallons so after it has fermented, cleared and is ready to age I have 5 1/4 gallons. Hate to have shy 5 gallons then have to add a bottle of good wine to it.

When making juice from fruit do not add water unless that fruit requires it like muscadines which are thick and acidic.

I've read on some threads where people say they make only 5 gal instead of 6 gal. I assume they are adding 1 gal less water initially.

Is this a recommended practice and if so would you add more of a similar wine to top off at the later stage?

I'm assuming you are referring to kit wines - yes this can be done. You will be making 17% less wine but the alcohol content will be 17% higher. This should also add more body to your wine.
You can also hold some of the concentrate back and use it as an fpac after the fermentation is complete.
If you don't have the proper size carboy for this then you should top up with something similar.

Yes I was referring to kits. Sounds like it would be a good idea for the lesser kits. I'm not sure I'd mess with the more expensive kits.

What does holding back some of the initial concentrate, as an f-pack, do?

What does holding back some of the initial concentrate, as an f-pack, do?[/QUOTE]

If you prefer your wines to be a little sweet then this might be the way to go.
As an example, if the kit size is 7.5 liters and it makes a total volume of 23 liters, you can choose to make a batch of 19 liters but instead of using all of the concentrate you can hold back about .75 liters (one wine bottle). The batch will still have about 7% more alcohol than if you made a full 23 liter batch and you will also have some concentrate to add to your wine after it has been properly stabilized. These numbers are only used as an example, you can choose to make it with whatever proportion you prefer.

I was wondering about this too, if I make a strawberry wine and at the end need to top it off, can I use a sterlized fruit juice (strawberry) that has sugar in it to back sweeten and top off/flavor or is this considered taboo.

I was wondering about this too, if I make a strawberry wine and at the end need to top it off, can I use a sterlized fruit juice (strawberry) that has sugar in it to back sweeten and top off/flavor or is this considered taboo.

I've never done this, but provided none of the yeast is active I don't see why not.

Make sure you stabalize the wine before you add it or it will probably start refermenting. Arne.

Yeah I would never backsweeten without stabilizing it would just start the whole thing over again. I have heard of people exploding bottles this way too LOL

Quote: "If you prefer your wines to be a little sweet then this might be the way to go.
As an example, if the kit size is 7.5 liters and it makes a total volume of 23 liters, you can choose to make a batch of 19 liters but instead of using all of the concentrate you can hold back about .75 liters (one wine bottle). The batch will still have about 7% more alcohol than if you made a full 23 liter batch"

Being conservative: One should either use the correct amount of water to 23L or a bit less (assume 1L at the max?) if you want the wine a bit sweeter and to increase the alcohol?

Quote: "If you prefer your wines to be a little sweet then this might be the way to go.
As an example, if the kit size is 7.5 liters and it makes a total volume of 23 liters, you can choose to make a batch of 19 liters but instead of using all of the concentrate you can hold back about .75 liters (one wine bottle). The batch will still have about 7% more alcohol than if you made a full 23 liter batch"

Being conservative: One should either use the correct amount of water to 23L or a bit less (assume 1L at the max?) if you want the wine a bit sweeter and to increase the alcohol?

My reply was to your inquiry about making a smaller batch than what the kit recommends. The answer is yes it can be done. I also included an option that some people use when doing this. Because the wine will be more concentrated, (smaller volume) they can reserve a small amount of the grape concentrate and use it later after the fermentation is complete. Their wine will still have as much or more body than if they made a full size batch and the reserved concentrate will give them the sweetness they desire and also give a boost to the flavor.

This is just my own opinion:
I would not do this to one of my kits. Yes, I know some experienced people do practice this.

The kit will not longer be warrantied, if you short the water. If it fails, you are on your own.

You have to realize that these kits are balanced and setup based on a specific water amount. If you mess with it, the kit could easily be out of balance.

But really, being a kit, it likely will still be a little thinner than its commercial counterpart. If you want to "thicken" (more mouth feel) your kit wine, use something like Tan Cor Grand Cru during aging, or always add a grape pack to the kit. Grape packs can be purchased separately.

I have to admit I have been tempted to try this but I have not done so as yet. Instead, I do as Robie suggest and add either a grape pack or a box of raisins. That increases the "mouth" and gives the wine more body.

Latest posts

Back