WineXpert Lodi Ranch 11 gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
Please excuse me if this is is a re-post. I thought I posted this last night, but I don't see it showing up.

I started a Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon yesterday, and the OG was ridiculously off, measuring 1.2. Clearly this can't be correct if I correctly followed the kit instructions, which I believe I did as this is my third kit.

I guess my question is, what did I do wrong when taking the sample for the OG? Are you supposed to take the sample before adding the skins?

I brought the level up to 6 gallons and after adding the skins, in the mesh bag, I gently but thoroughly stirred the solution in the primary. As soon as I was done stirring I took a sample from near the bottom and got a reading of 1.2. I stirred again and took a sample from the middle of the container, away from where the skins were sitting, and got a reading of 1.15; better but still way too far off. I repeated this process a few times, stirring and sampling, but never got a reading below 1.15.

The hydrometer was not touching the sides of the jar, nor did it have bubbles on it. I believe the hydrometer to be accurate as I checked it with water and got a reading of 1, and I also started a batch of beer yesterday and the OG of it was right about where it should be.

I'm not too worried about the batch, as I assume the gravity is probably right where it should be considering I followed the directions, but I'm just curious as to why my reading was so high.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris

Two guesses based on my experience starting a CC showcase kit yesterday. One is that you're mis-reading your hydrometer, possibly 1.105 is the actual number (I was at 1.103 but kept writing and thinking 1.13 for a while). Second could be the must thickness. Between the oak powder, shavings, grape pack this was the thickest wine I've started, the hydrometer went in and spun like it was in maple syrup at first. Make sure it really is stirred well and not too cold.
Just some thoughts, I'm thinking your wine is fine.
Mike

Does you hydrometer really go to 1.2? I don't think I have ever seen one that does.

Is it possible it is showing 1.102? That would work out to about 14%.

I'll definitely check tonight to make sure I was reading it correctly, or incorrectly as is the most likely case. As I mentioned, the beer reading was about right, but it is a triple-scale device so it is entirely possible I was just reading the scale incorrectly for the wine.

Latest posts

Back