Cellar Craft Lodi Old Vine Zin - I think I broke it.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
ok, so my first ever attempt at making wine. Got off to a good start, with active primary.
SG started at 1.081,
Day 4: 1.050,
Day 5: 1.026,
Day 6: 1.020 (morning),

Than I had to go out of town for the long weekend, so I left it in primary under airlock, at about 73 degrees.

Got home today, and checked on it. This would be day 9 (evening), and there was no activity visible at all. No bubbles in the airlock SG = 1.000 even, which is what the instructions indicate it should be to proceed to secondary.

So, I racked it to a carboy, topped it off and added the enzyme packet from the kit, with a gentle stir. Inserted the airlock, and there are no bubbles whatsoever. Did it die while I was away? Can I resuscitate it?

Thoughts anybody?

Did you rack off the gross lees when you racked to carboy? Keep it warm and check the SG every day or so. It can take 7-10 days to finish out that little bit.

Did you rack off the gross lees when you racked to carboy? Keep it warm and check the SG every day or so. It can take 7-10 days to finish out that little bit.

I tried to eliminate as much of the lees as possible, but moving the bucket from my warm room to the laundry room (where my sink and counter are) might have stirred it up a bit, so I probably didn't do a great job (first time I've tried this). I tried to be careful in moving it, but some sediment clearly went into the carboy as well. Plus I had to remove the crushed grape bag, so that was some more stirring up I guess.

So should I see active fermentation at this stage? Bubbles in the airlock? Or is this a really slow part??

I tried to eliminate as much of the lees as possible, but moving the bucket from my warm room to the laundry room (where my sink and counter are) might have stirred it up a bit, so I probably didn't do a great job (first time I've tried this). I tried to be careful in moving it, but some sediment clearly went into the carboy as well. Plus I had to remove the crushed grape bag, so that was some more stirring up I guess.

So should I see active fermentation at this stage? Bubbles in the airlock? Or is this a really slow part??

Ken, I think you will be fine. Just be sure that the airlock is securely on the carboy and let the wine clear. I read the instructions on line and they say you should be looking for SG 0.998 or less, so you are not far away.

When I got to this stage with the Showcase Barbera, it did the same thing. I got zero airlock activity for the next 10 days. After the 10 days, I checked the SG and it was .996, and it held steady over the next couple of days, so I went to the next step in the instructions. Your SG will probably go down a little, don't worry too much about the airlock activity (I know we all like to see that sucker bubbling), you should be OK.

Peace,
Bob

Ken, I did this same kit about 6 mo.ago. Mine did the same thing, went into the carboy at 1.002, & I saw no bubbles for the next 2 weeks. But when I checked it went down to .994 You will be fine. Roy

Thanks everybody. First attempt at this can be a little intimidating. Great to be able to hear others' experiences on here. Much appreciated!

First attempt can be scary, I know.

You may not see a single blurp from the air lock, but if you keep the wine warm (72-75F), it wil finish up OK.

Don't worry about the lees. What you did was typical.

I just finished my secondary ferment on this zin and was wondering what you folks think of adding oak dust/chips to the carboy as I bulk age it? The kit only had dust for the primary. Does it help to add oak and if so how much? Thanks again from a newbie. Gary

If it is not already oaky enough, sure, you can add oak to the carboy.

Since you are experimenting, add 2 or 3 oz; taste every two weeks or so until it gets where you like it. The chips will not give off oak flavor more than about 6 weeks to 2 months. After that time, if it is still not where you want it, add some more oak.

Latest posts

Back