Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I got a new pound of kmeta and mixed a batch and there is hardly any odor. Could I got a outdated batch?

If you are talking about mixing up a Kmeta sanitizing solution, did you mix 3 full tablespoons to each gallon of water?

If you did and you shake it up a little, a whiff of it should almost knock you down.

I mixed a tablespoon into 32 oz. of water yesterday and could hardly smell a difference...I guess my question is the same...is it too old? I just bought the stuff from my lhbs two months ago.

According to my Distributor, K-meta has almost an indefenate shelf life. I just mixed up some I found at home that had to have been 10 years old and smelled like the new.

I got a new pound of kmeta and mixed a batch and there is hardly any odor. Could I got a outdated batch?

K-meta has a long shelf life (several years) when stored properly. Properly means avoiding dampness and light, which is usually the case. Unless your k-meta came in a plastic bag, you should be fine. Also you should be able to tell visually. Was the k-meta mostly rock (caused by dampness) or granule?

What's the best way to store it? I've been usin ziplock bags, but its not my ideal solution. I thought of a mason jar, but figured it wouldn't go too well with the metal lid.

I always add some citric acid with it. It will give you what your looking for like , right now!.. Using just meta sometimes takes a while to really smell.

The ratio is 50/50 or a bit less acid.

Runningwolf said:
I always add some citric acid with it. It will give you what your looking for like , right now!.. Using just meta sometimes takes a while to really smell.

The ratio is 50/50 or a bit less acid.

I also agree with Dan ^^. You can use citric, tartaric or malic acid.

What's the best way to store it? I've been usin ziplock bags, but its not my ideal solution. I thought of a mason jar, but figured it wouldn't go too well with the metal lid.

I agree, mason jars with metal lids should be avoided. There are plenty of inexpensive canister jars available with plastic lids. There's also glass jars that have glass lids with plastic seals. Try the kitchen supplies area of a store like Wal-Mart. I included a few photos.

820000_01.jpg

Glass-jars-with-lids.jpg

I had a fresh batch that did not provide much oder. After mixing, I let it sit for a few days and it became strong. Be careful next time you decide to take a whiff of the mixture, it mite come to life. Arne.

Back