Just started my first batch, a gallon of blackberry.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinitenexus

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. Yesterday I started my first batch of wine. I crushed about 5 pounds of blackberries in a clean paint straining bag in a bucket, and added warm water and about 2.5 cups of sugar and pectin enzyme and campden, and let it sit overnight. This morning I added yeast and yeast nutrient, then 5 minutes later realized I forgot to check the specific gravity. It was far too low, so I made a syrup, let it cool down, and added enough sugar water to raise the SG to about 1.085. Hopefully that won't cause any problems, but I don't see how it will. I'm going to let it ferment for 5-6 days, then transfer it into a gallon carboy and let it sit for 3 months in the dark, then rack it again, wait about 2 months, then bottle it and wait about 6 months. I'm really excited! This is my first batch of wine and already I can't wait until it's out of my fermenting bucket so I can start another gallon, haha. Just to be safe, does anyone see any glaring problems with my wine/methods so far?

Don't forget the yeast and then ferment until sg get down to 1.010 then transfer to secondary then I would rack it in thrity days to get off the lees and then in thrity more days then age your wine

Latest posts

Back