Juice pails vs Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, they claim (Jay) that MM is a more premium juice and it is pre-inoculated and balanced.
They claim that Toro Negro is NOT inoculated or balanced.

I am really surprised because every time I bought Toro Negro has been pre-inoculated.....hmmmm

Geek, Have you bought both at one time or another? Is or do you think that the MM is worth the $26-$30 dollar difference?

I don't have test equipment and don't want to invest in any so I can forget about the Black Bull brand.

Bill,
I think it is worth it just for the care that they take with their products, keeping them at the correct temps in a clean environment.
Jzabron,
You should at least wait until the temp of the juice reaches a temp that is tolerated by the yeast that you will using, this could be between 50° - 86° depending on the yeast.
I usually let mine get to 65°- 70° for two reasons, I test all of the juice pails before I start, PH, TA and SO2,this can take an hr or so depending on how many I am making, but, I can make the proper adjustments before starting. If I plan on adding 9- 10 lbs of fresh destemmed and crushed grapes, this also takes a few hrs depending on the quantity i need to prep.
I may add a pectinase and opti red (for my reds obviously) at this point and let sit to cold soak to get everything I can out of the grapes to make that wine taste as good as possible!
Once all of mt "T's" are crossed and my "I's" are dotted, I hydrate the yeast and pitch it.

So in short....you don't have to add the yeast the moment that you get home.

Bill, I never bought MM so I can't comment but I'd buy the Toro Negro again with no doubt.

Bill,
I think it is worth it just for the care that they take with their products, keeping them at the correct temps in a clean environment.
Jzabron,
You should at least wait until the temp of the juice reaches a temp that is tolerated by the yeast that you will using, this could be between 50° - 86° depending on the yeast.
I usually let mine get to 65°- 70° for two reasons, I test all of the juice pails before I start, PH, TA and SO2,this can take an hr or so depending on how many I am making, but, I can make the proper adjustments before starting. If I plan on adding 9- 10 lbs of fresh destemmed and crushed grapes, this also takes a few hrs depending on the quantity i need to prep.
I may add a pectinase and opti red (for my reds obviously) at this point and let sit to cold soak to get everything I can out of the grapes to make that wine taste as good as possible!
Once all of mt "T's" are crossed and my "I's" are dotted, I hydrate the yeast and pitch it.

So in short....you don't have to add the yeast the moment that you get home.

@Pumpkinman: As long as I am able to store them below 50 degrees or less, fermentation shouldnt begin correct? Once I bring the juice up to temp, I can hydrate and pitch my desired yeast in correct? I am completely new to the juice bucket scene.

Yes, if you can maintain a temp at 50° or below you should be fine.
Ask as many questions as you need to, we are all glad to help.

Tom

Looks like I'm going to need a few more carboys! I guess this is what people mean when they "multiply" haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I was just thinking the same thing. I have two red wines bulk aging, a cyser I want to age six months or so before I back sweeten, so it looks like I have to get some more carboys also...

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Carboys and stainless steel tanks multiply around here all the time, I'm at the point where I'm adding and addition to the house this spring 12 x15 and that will be attached to the 12 x 10 room I have now..... I just don't know where they all come from lol...

Latest posts

Back