Jan 2015 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update on freezer cleaner wine.

I racked this off the lees this morning. It tastes and looks great. I really like the oak addition.

red rooster.jpg

Passionfruit wine update:
It is no longer highlighter color, but the color is about right for passionfruit. I added the 4oz of pulp to the secondary.
This is going to be great fun to drink this coming summer.
Edited to say sorry for that really crappy picture!

image1.JPG

A little late getting back on here but the grapefruit is fermented and in the carboy. Fermentation stopped at 1.002 and is pretty harsh. I tried keeping it going but wouldn't budge any more so I left it as is. I got 1 gallon and 1 750ml bottle out of it after transferring from a magnum bottle off the gross lees. Sulfated and added sorbate since I plan on back sweetening. Starting sg was 1.084 ph 3.5. ImageUploadedByWine Making1423711674.340453.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1423711689.023337.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1423711707.090298.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1423711720.158892.jpg

My mead is crystal clear with a very fine amount of lees on the bottom of the carboy. I decided to sneak a taste.

For something so young, it is surprisingly smooth. None of the flavors are really jumping out of me right now though. I'm going to let it sit another month. If I still can't taste anything identifiable, I will add a small amount of each flavor and let it sit for a week and taste again.

My passion fruit wine was bottled today. You can smell the passionfruit across the table. I backsweetened with 50g of sugar. Wife and friends are encouraging me to enter in competition, and are telling me that if every wine tasted like this one we'd never buy wine again. That's a good sign I suppose!

IMG_1484.JPG

It's so clear! And what a great color.

Are you going to end up entering it?

Just got around to doing the first racking on my grapefruit wine. I have a haze that just won't drop out. I put a little more than normal dosage of pectic enzyme in the primary. I'm not sure if this is pectic haze or not, hopefully someone can help me out and point me in the right direction. If it is pectic haze would just adding some more pectic enzyme drop it out or will I need a clarifier to take care of it? ImageUploadedByWine Making1432437833.626102.jpg

You could try the pectic, or possibly bentonite or something stronger. Please let me know what works for you, as I'm working on a grapefruit wine right now :)

I racked it off the little sediment that there was and added the pectic enzyme as per the bottle and then a little more. Not sure if that was right or not but we'll see. I'll leave it sit for atleast 2 weeks and go from there. I got a packet of superkleer just incase I need it down the road.

Last edited:
This mead turned out nice, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

I ended up mixing it with my March 2015 WOTM entry, Grapefruit Juniper Mead.

Better, but still just ok. Added a little acid. Still, meh. So...I started tinkering. By the time it was all said and done, I added:

Added 4 lbs sweet cherries, 1/2 small can of frozen cherry concentrate, 3 oz dried elderberries, and 2 oz heavy toast french oak.

I let that do it's thing for about 3 months, then fined it out.
I bottled last week. It's the dark reddish one on the end.

I'm calling it Eldercherry Frankenmead.

20161008_162411.jpg

Back