Jan 2015 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit wine was moved to secondary today at 1.011.

Passionfruit.JPG

Wow! That is some bright stuff!

What does it taste/smell like?

I can't believe the colour!! It reminds me of an orangey-yellow version of Jeri's Prickly Pear :)

Hi all, I think I might get in on this months group with the grapefruit wine I'm about to start. It's based off of the first grapefruit recipe listed in the recipe thread.
6 pink grapefruit
1 can white grape concentrate
1/2 banana
Unsure about if I want to add pineapple juice, mango, peach, orange juice or a little of each
Golden raisins (1 box)?
Sugar to set sg if needed
Pectic enzyme
Yeast energizer
Tannin ( thinking ft blanc soft) unsure of the whole tannin thing since I have very little experience so far
Thinking either D47 or QA23 yeast

This is still in the planning phase and would love to hear some more thoughts about this one. I had a post about this and got some pretty good ideas (thanks Pam!). I'm still unsure about what ratios to use or if I'm thinking to many ingredients (first time coming up with a recipe from scratch). Also unsure about the tannins. Let me know if I'm way off base or going the way I should, thanks!

Sounds yummy JimmyT! I've been tossing around the idea of a grapefruit wine. It's on the "to brew" list. I would say use the zests (no pith) in the primary as well to get more grapefruit taste. Use white raisins if you have them too.

No experience with the Tannin FT soft. Maybe start small with 1/8 or 1/4 tsp?

I have no real advice other than concern about the acidity level of the grapefruits. I'd probably just use the whole banana and D47 yeast.

Can't wait to see how this one goes. I love grapefruits and we have no problem getting our hands on some good ones around here. Grapefruit wine sounds like a treat on a hot summer day.

I was looking at some older threads just yesterday and it looks like GreginND has a couple of good ones for grapefruit. This time of the year we get really lovely, ripe and sweet ones from Arizona and Texas. They would be wonderful to make wine with!

I was looking at some older threads just yesterday and it looks like GreginND has a couple of good ones for grapefruit. This time of the year we get really lovely, ripe and sweet ones from Arizona and Texas. They would be wonderful to make wine with!

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

Grapefruit

It it pretty easy to infuse a wine with grapefruit by just adding zest in the secondary. I tweaked a WotM "Hibiscitrus" wine like this and left the rind in only 2 days. It worked miracles.

I imagine that you could make a neutral wine base and just add the grapefruit in the secondary and get a reasonably "grapefruity" wine. Probably using a lot less grapefruit too.

I made a grapefruit several years back almost like the above recipes. I recently opened a bottle after in the bottle for over a year. It was ok, not good enough to ever make again. I wish you the best of luck though

On a side note: Hey! @sour_grapes ! Are you joining us this month?
:fsh

Thanks for the call-out, Raelene, but I think not, or not until near the end of the month, anyway. My fermentation plans are on hold because I may (or may not) be traveling. I am itching to start my next kit, too, and this is on hold for the same reason! Gotta get the possible travel resolved, then set the yeasties loose!

Thanks for the call-out, Raelene, but I think not, or not until near the end of the month, anyway. My fermentation plans are on hold because I may (or may not) be traveling. I am itching to start my next kit, too, and this is on hold for the same reason! Gotta get the possible travel resolved, then set the yeasties loose!

I thought I would toss it out there for you! We would love to have you participate whenever you've got the time. :db

Racked to secondary today.

SG is at 1.01

I added 1/2 a preserved lemon and another 1/2 tsp of saffron.

I'm hoping it doesn't ferment too much more and the residual sweetness offsets some of the saltiness of the lemon. I do expect the salt to kill the yeast.
That's my plan anyway, we will see how it all shakes out.

IMAG1248.jpg

Do you guys/gals think 1 cup of fresh mango and 1 cup of fresh peach will be enough or should I do more or less of each. Still want the grapefruit to be the main taste up front

For a 1 gallon batch, I think that will be just enough to give the yeast something to eat and maybe give a slight tone to your wine. If you are using grapefruit juice, I'm not sure 1 cup of each is going to add a whole lot of identifiable flavor after fermentation.
I guess it just depends on what your overall goal is going to be.

Latest posts

Back