It's Too Cold?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzlya

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, new to wine making, and gearing up to start my first batch. I've checked the ambient temp in the room I'll be fermenting in and it stays between 60 and 65 degrees. I know that's probably too cold and need ideas on geting the temp up and keeping it steady. Heating the room is not an option and my primary fermenter is a 9 gallon Tuff-Tank so I'm not sure if a heating wrap will work on it and my carboys. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard!!!

What are you making?? 60-65 isn't bad for white wines - it will help to retain the flavors and aromas.

Red wines you want to get up to around 73 - it will aid in the color extraction.

Ok - do you have a grape pack?

You can use a brew belt around the primary - or get a small space heater - monitor the temp of the must though - as those can really heat it up quick.

I have the must that came in the kit if that's the grape pack? I'll look into the brew belt, TY!

Yep, get a brew belt from a LHBS. They are worth their weight in gold for winemakers.

Yep, for the first few years I had this same problem and used a brew belt with great success! Dont worry about the disclaimer on the package saying not to use on glass as we all do it and no one has ever had a problem in many years as long as you use common sense and dont put a brew belt on a glass carboy that is like 32* as that sever temp differential is what will possibly make it crack.

Depending on how well the room is insulated, I use a couple of floodlights pointing away from the wine. I warms the room up nicely if you only need a few degrees.

How about a couple of 100 watt light bulbs. Adjust the temp by moving the bulbs close or far. Cheap way but it works. Use a thermometer to help keep within temp range.

if the room is large you could also build a frame around the fermenter (a couple of chairs on ether side) and drape a blanket or tarp around the whole shebang with a light bulb hung in side. watch the temp and prop up one side to regulate the temp.

jim

I use a heat pad that we have hanging around the house. Turn it on low and sit you fermenter on it. Mine raises the temp by ~5 degrees on low.

I ferment at the lower temps 6 months of the year. It will work, but be aware that it will take longer. You won't be able to use the "day count" on the instructions because the cooler temps can cause it to take up to 3 times longer. Use your hydrometer to know when to move on the the next steps in the kit. If you have an old electric blanket hanging around, when set on low, it could provide the extra heat you need.

I'm new to this an am still unsure how to do everything. Don't know if my techniques will work out, but this is what I do. Being from MN like others, it's freezing cold in my basement. I have blocked off part of my crawl space (hence my username) with a sheet and used a cheap space heater set to 74 F. The rest of my crawl space behind the hanging sheet is in the high 50's right now. Should be perfect for bulk aging. Instead of using lights, you can get little heaters pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back